Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Just a random question that has occurred to me is if the conditioning phase of a beer could be expedited by lying the bottle or keg on its side. Theory being that it would increase the surface area of yeast in contact with the beer.

I envisage it would only be done for the first few weeks or months before being returned to upright.

I found some discussion on side conditioning here, but it isn't in the context of speeding up the process.

Views: 247

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would have thought that the temperature you are conditioning at would make a bigger difference than increasing the surface area of the yeast that is in there?

The lambic guys argue about this all the time. Cantillon conditions on the side: http://i.imgur.com/pDUAu8A.jpg

I've heard some discussion about it from Chad Jakobson of Crooked Stave and the Brettanomyces Project in some podcast or other, and I think the conclusion was it's theoretically best to lie them down for the first say month, then stand it up again, but it probably doesn't make a significant difference. 

I don't know Ralph, good question as well considering we slow down the conditioning when we lager. The comment that first got me interested is seeing an altbier yeast described as fast maturing and then extended by talk of conical vs dished fermenters. You are probably right Richard, the amount of yeast would be significant as per conditioning in the fermenter vs bottle.

I sometimes condition bottles on thier sides to get more bottles in my small fridge also keeping temp at 20 deg very fast conditioning carbed in 48 hours! but as far as long term conditioning goes im not sure

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service