Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know what you mean, personally I can't stand amber. I've made porters etc with multiple roasted grains and they can get a bit muddy when they clash. These days I aim for a dominant grain with maybe a couple on backing vocals

I'm with you there - the indistinct muddiness is something I've had in a few previous dark beers.  What changed my mind was the PKB approach to layered roasted malts.  When the recipe hits the mark the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I always like about 10% roast in my stouts - but one thing I have discovered is at higher percentages reasonably fresh good quality roast barley is very important if you wish to avoid the acrid and ashtray type flavours

Roast that has been sitting in the cupboard or at the back of the homebrew shop for years is best taken to the end of the street and thrown at the first ford to drive past ;-)

Oat malt also sits well in a stout giving a lovely mouth feel and head but again freshish or at least well stored oat malt is best IMO.

You have inspired me guys I can feel a stout coming up!

Stout tasting coming up in winter then Chris ?

Currently thinking the Roast, chocolates, touch of black and some dark crystal.

Looks like I'll be round for some roast barley in the next week or so ...

I love brewing in Wellington, just a 17 minute walk to Baylands to pickup Roast Barley, shame most of that is uphill ...

So far it's looking like
9% choccies
5% Dark Crystal
5% Roast Barley - unless Chris convinces me it should be 10%, maybe I need 10 with that crystal?
When using chocolate malts in a stout I prefer to have at least as much Roast Barley as Chocolate. I like chocolatey stouts but not too chocolatey. I'd push the Roast up to 9% to match the choc. All depends on what you like though, I'd split the crystal into med and dark too.

Dropped the flaked?

Wheres your OG/IBU sitting at?

OK, I'm convinced, 10% Roast Barley it is.

No flakes, I've been off flakes for a bit now.

OG at about 1038 but wavering on the hops.

60 minute addition only to 35 BU but wondering if I go for something with some residual flavour like Sauvin or cascade (or a combo of them?)

I've rediscovered Fuggles this Autumn, they taste incredible in browns and stouts

35 IBU sounds high, especially with the additional roast. I'd go for 25 to 30.

You could go for a PKB style hopping. Make sure you as plenty though orherwise they'll disappear in the roast.

All this stout talk makes me want to brew one.

Richard Deeble was liking Fuggles in his pales recently too and it piqued my interest especially when he mentioned marmalade.

I sort of fancied a bit of citrus coming through though

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service