Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

For the first time i have used this in my fermenter? Followed instructions and now I have no fermentation activity! pitched a well active rehydrated S-05 at 22deg. Fermenter is sitting at 20deg and hydrometer reading is at OG after 24 hours. Pulled a sample off and it is carbonated? going crazy here any thoughts? has the sodium metabisulphite killed the yeast?

Views: 1806

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike in Brewers coop is stocking star san in small quatities evidently, I agree the sodium met is not the best choice of sanitiser
Interesting. I've used sodium met since I started homebrewing and have never had a problem. When I was back in the UK and working at beer festivals we pretty much universally used sodium met for sanitising taps, lines etc. Plus the CAMRA Guide to Homebrewing recommends its use also.

Not saying you're wrong or having a pop - I'm just interested in the views being expressed.

In the end, use whatever works best for you I guess.

On a vaguely-related note, what do people tend to use for cleaning (of kettles, fermenters etc.)? I've been using the pink bottlewash stuff from the homebrew shop (which is chlorine-based I think) and again haven't had a problem, but I'm always open to other suggestions.

Cheers,

Martin
Funny that, in the bars I used to work in London, we used to use a chlorine based cleaner for lines and taps and an acid based sanatiser for cellar floors. Which seemed to do the trick but in saying that we wernt as such sanatising them but just stripping them of the proteins and residues that gave off flavours to the beer once dispensed.
Funny that Just went to RD1 in Featherston and the smallist they do is 20l so I wont be buying that but am going to ask the local Diary Farmer to purchase some off him. Provided that he uses it
I use bleach solution for my plastics (fermenter, secondary and brew ware) and brew craft steriliser/cleaner for the metalwork and others. Never had a problem, so far. As for hydrating your yeast, did you boil the water before you put the yeast in? Whether you use water or wort, it should always be boiled prior to pitching any yeast near it. Treat yeast like.......yeast. I mean, like it could be infected by the slightest thing. But by the sound of your last post, it sounds like you may have fermentation, you just have a leak in your fermenter and you can't see the activity in your airlock? Maybe just take readings every day, if it's dropping, no problem. Just wait until fermentation stops or you reach your target FG, and Bobs your aunties boyfriends gay lover!
It seems that must be the exact problem but I dont think I have a leak in the fermenter as, as i draw off my sample wort the airlock and fermenter draw air back into the fermenter!! no infection thus far due to that its defintly working as im now down to 1.021
I have been using 1/4 teaspoon to 1 litre of water to sanitse my beer making stuff for 15 years. It is the best. I rise the barrel with the stuff, making sure the solution contacts all the plastic, seal up and let sit for 20 min, pour out and leave to drain. With bottles put a splash in the bottom, put the lid on and leave 20 min or more, when filling bottles just pour it out. The residual amounts do not bother the beer. Winemakers put tablespoons of the raw powder to kill the yeast. With sodium met, dont let it contact metals as it is an oxidiser. I brewed with people overseas in a dry country who used bleach, camden tablets etc etc and they all had problems, the aussies and kiwis all sourced sodium met locally as its used in the food processing industry, and we all had great beers.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service