Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

So with a grain mill on the way I thought I'd start thinking about an inventory. I am also hoping to source from Canterbury too. I assume grains need to be kept dry and cool so maybe in bags in airtight containers? Also how long is the use by on un-cracked grain. Also where can I source grain from near Chch? Cheers

Views: 676

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No worries, I got a sack of Pale, Pilsener, Wheat and Munich was looking more at the crystals as I don't need a full sack of them as the wife would shoot me if she found out I had about 6 sacks of grain

Base malts ought to be used within 16 weeks or less. Specialty malts are fine for nearly double that time. This assumes that you are keeping them cool, dry and away from light.

There's an outfit called Rotational Plastics near Auckland that makes what they call a D45 Round Utility Bin with a clip lid. They need an order of 10 to do a run. If you can, get some mates together for a bulk order; they make fantastic grain storage bins. Essentially a large, sealed, plastic bin. Very durable and holds a 25kg sack with ease. An unopened 30kg Gladfield sack won't fit though.

http://rotationalplastics.co.nz/Group.aspx?ParentId=13&GroupId=38

Cheers,
Chris

I take it there are the ones in the back of your picture in your trade me auction? I was looking at these last night and was going to ask you where you got them! Perfect timing!

How much were they for 10?

Yes, that's right - they are the same ones. For 10, in mid-2011, they were $529 (GST inclusive, but not including freight). You can get them in black or neutral.

Argh, I thought the grains would last longer. Will have to revise my inventory. Will be just the one base grain and still a split bag of speciality grain.

You'd be suprised how quickly you get through a bag when its sitting there ready to go, also helps if you talk loads about brewing then the wife just tells you to shut up and brew

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service