Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Going to brew a RIS to celebrate the arrival of our baby daughter.  Love a good excuse to brew something special! (hopefully)

Awesome dude! Should drink 1 bottle each year on her birthday ;) 

We've also got that whisky barrel stout which is for our anniversary and a double imperial NZ India pale ale for baby too so its any excuse in our house!

Double brew day today as the temps have finally come up on my garage floor. 3°C in the last week to 17!

First is a pale ale:

80% Malteurope NZ Pilsner

11% Munich

4% Carared

4% Carapils

Hopped with Pacific Jade/Motueka to 65 IBU in a 1:1.5 ratio at 60,30,15 & FO. 

Wyeast 1272

Second is my favourite grist, and ESB already published. Will back off the caraaroma from 150gm to 100 and add in 200g of Dark Crystal. Hoping to take just a little of the dry roasted bite off. SO4 has done well for this beer.

Will also throw in a smidgeon of Willamette at 15 mins, first use of this hop. This beer is really too dark for an ESB and this hop will put it into American Brown Ale territory. Depending on how the Willamette goes I will do this again in about a month but sub out the Pacific Gem at 60 for Columbus.

Just finished up my brew day :)

Cali-common:

Shooting for 1.052, hit 1.054, should end up just shy of 5%
44% Gladfield pale ale malt
44% Gladfield lager malt
9% Bairds Pale Crystal (110EBC)
1.5% TF Pale Choc malt
1.5% Acidulated Malt

All Northern Brewer (is a cali common after all..), all 8% AA - approx 40IBU:
50g in mash
25g @ 45
25g @ 30
75g @ 15
75g @ 0

7g each Gypsum and Calcium Carbonate in HLT. Mashed at 67c for 60mins followed by 15min 75c mashout.
Massive pitch of WLP810 ready, stepped up 3 times and fed another once. Will blast the wort with O2 and pitch at 16c. 1 week at 16c, another at 17c rising to 19 for a third week.

Brew day went smooth as silk and cotton balls

I'm having a crack at an old style - export india porter. Who knows, maybe it'll be good? It'll certainly be interesting... based on a Barklay Perkins recipe from 1859, my only substantial changes are sneaking in a little dark crystal and pale choc. Using Waiiti because it's the lowest alpha thing I've got around and looking at the recipe, that's going to be pretty important! I've got a starter of 1469 spinning for it. 2 hour boil :)

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg .Pale Malt, Malteurop Mild  Grain 72.4 %
0.90 kg .Brown Malt (Bairds)  Grain 16.3 %
0.29 kg .Amber Malt (Bairds) Grain 5.2 %
0.15 kg .Crystal, Dark (Bairds) Grain 2.7 %
0.12 kg .Black Malt (Bairds)  Grain 2.2 %
0.07 kg .Chocolate Malt, Pale (Bairds) Grain 1.3 %
170.00 gm waiiti [3.00%] (120 min) Hops 64.1 IBU
70.00 gm waiiti [3.00%] (60 min) Hops 24.2 IBU
70.00 gm waiiti [3.00%] (30 min) Hops 18.6 IBU
28.30 gm waiiti [3.00%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.063 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG  
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.1 %  
Bitterness: 106.8 IBU  
Est Color: 32.9 SRM

Any bets on how this comes out? :)

Bitter and dry from all the brown malt would be my first guess, What was the mash temp? Certainly sounds interesting,  What are you hoping for?

Hoping for? Aside from being able to send it to India... Ummm. I don't really know, Raffe just keeps sending me interesting old school recipes and I decided to brew one, because why not? I expect some significant kettle caramelisation over a 2 hour boil will offset the brown. Especially with Haish's burner which I have liberated, the thing burns with the fire of a thousand suns.

Cool, old school recipes are always interesting and I'm sure you will be glad you went for it and gave it a go.  With the kettle caramelisation in the mix it sounds even more interesting, could be a small barleywine given the big flavours I'd expect from the malt, that's just guessing though.  Might take a bit of ageing and be a great late winter warmer.

Nice one Richard.  I'll be interested to know how this one comes out with all that Brown malt.

I always find those old style recipes to be intriguing but I never have the guts to copy them exactly.  There's a couple of recipes in Radical Brewing that I might get around to brewing one day, maybe.  

One day I really want to do one of the big export stouts that use all the different grades of invert sugar instead of crystals. There's a recipe floating around somewhere for the Fullers Past Masters Double Stout, which is delicious, IMHO.

That Barclay Perkins site is interesting - I like the sound of the AK session beers from the 30's, especially with summer on its way. 

Some questions related to those recipes:

* They seem to use a lot of American 6-row in their recipes - can you get it here?  If not, what's a good sub.

* Brewer's invert - is the demerara or raw sugar they mention in the recipe literally what we know as raw sugar here? 

And where might I source 80% lactic acid from?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service