I know its only 4.20pm but I am taste testing a beer as the sun is shining,
this is a lager I made

4.400 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 97.5 %
0.113 kg Carahell (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 2.5 %
14.000 g Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 3 13.7 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 4 -
7.000 g Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 2.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafLager West European Lager (DCL/Fermentis #S-23) [23.66 ml] Yeast 6 -

the taste is fine and even my wife likes it and she is notoriously picky and doesn't like any of my beer,

It has a slightly syrupy mouth feel to it, I didn't check the PH of the water and it has been four weeks lagering at 12 degrees after two weeks fermentation at 14 degrees

Kegged it three days ago and just taste testing now, what will give it that sort of mouth feel as it's a but weird,

Any ideas please?

Views: 254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What was your mash profile Hamish? You can get thicker mouthfeel if you mash at higher mash temperatures?

Mashed at 66 degrees for 75 minutes, it did overshoot temp wise a couple of times to about 68-69 degrees when then burner fired up on the thermostat, that may well be the cause, I am sure I can tackle 40 litres of it

What finishing gravity did you get to and did you do a slightly higher diacetyl rest towards the end of fermentation?

Sometimes a thicker slightly slippery mouthfeel (like licking margarine off the knife) can be residual diacetyl.

I completely forgot to check finishing gravity before crash chilling it prior to kegging, I didn't do a diacetyl rest, but now you mention margarine thats the thing I was trying to describe

That might be it - you might be able to find more detailed info on S 23 results at the ferment temps you used if you do a search on a few homebrew sites.  I haven't used it much so can't offer much useful in the way of yeast specific solutions.  Sounds not a bad drop anyway if both you and your wife are liking it.

Love that margarine desription. Lol. I have a few s-23 beers lying about in various stages so I will be thinking about that next time I sample, will report it if I get it. Temps have been between 11&14. I have been getting plenty of sulphur compared to little to none with w34/70, but it seems to subside with time though.

it's actually getting better by the jug, either I am getting used to it or it is actually getting better, hopefully the latter, mayber it's still a bit green

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service