Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

This is my first go at a parti gyle beer. It is the second runnings of a barleywine based on a clone recipe for Rogue Old Crustacean. My bottles have some orange tape on the neck.

89% Golden Promise

4% Dark Crystal

4% Munich

3% Munich II

11 IBU Southern Cross @ 60

23 IBU Kohatu and NZ cascade @ 15

2.5 g/L  Kohatu and NZ cascade @ 0

Fermented with 1272 at 19°C. 1.044 - 1.009.

4.6% ABV, 34 IBU.

Views: 281

Replies to This Discussion

Onto my second glass of this for the evening  - enjoyed the first one too much chilling on the couch to drag myself away to the computer and write a review.

Anyway here goes.  First up this blows me away with the clarity.  It was what made me choose this one as my first CS beer - that and the "Danger- Radioactive label".  It brings home how much a crystal clear beer adds to the overall experience - and how much a kegging system is top of my list for the next beer related purchases - Cos I'm guessing you've bottled this from the keg Haish

My glass pours with a fragrant thin white head that disappears in a minute or so but laces the glass nicely.

Colour is a honey amber colour with few bubbles - carbonated lowish which is great for my tastes.

Clean honey aromas with light floral fruit is the first I get - and then a wisp of malt but nothing big.  No yeast character that I can smell.

I've let this one warm up a bit which is great as the first taste is more of that subtle honey malt flavour that isn't sweet or cloying but balanced with the crisp bitterness and a moderate mouthfeel - which surprised me for the FG this got to.  It finishes with a clean cut bitterness on the side of the tongue with no lingering malt - a similar effect to me of finishing dinner with a grapefruit sorbet.

All in all this is  a characterful clean and tasty easy drinker  - thanks Haish, great drop.

Enjoyed this on Sunday night after a long day at work. This is what I wrote down:

Appearance - Bright copper, fluffy head and lacing.

Aroma - Pine needles, grapefruit, slightly spicy.

Flavour - Pine and grapefruit hops again with a good dose of caramel to carry it

Mouthfeel - carbonation just right, medium body carries the bitterness well, but still leaning towards the bitter side of balance which I liked, this made it really moorish for me.

Really well brewed beer, nice and clean, I couldn't pick any faults. Perfect refreshing beer for the end of an 11 hour work day. I've only had one other beer with Kohatu before and it put me off a little, but this has made me re-assess. I got lots of spicy/piney notes off this beer which was awesome, and I assume from the kohatu.

Cheers!

well, I made the fatal mistake of pre estimating the quality of the beers of this CS based on the last, but alas my expectations are way below what we are experiencing.. we are tasting some A grade beers in this one thats for sure...

The aroma seems subtle but the flavour is rampant with hebal notes.. nice mouth feel, carbonation is medium but appropriate for the style.. definate grassy notes thats for sure..

it tastes like fresh lawn clippings with is akin to a reward for mowing the lawns...

Seriously, good work Haish, I really enjoyed this beer..  thanks for the swap.

I drank this while watching the ABs game tonight. What a stunner (the beer & the game).

Pours a gorgeous deep gold with a long-lasting creamy head. Interesting aroma, plenty of hops, piney notes. Lovely creamy mouthfeel, lots of tropical fruit and rich sweet malt. Some sherbet notes too. A gorgeous beer, I wish I had a keg of it!

Cheers mate, nice work.

I'm afraid I think that we may have got a dud bottle.  We got a overpowering plastic / bandaid aroma and flavour.  No one else mentioned it so I assume it wasn't present in their bottles cos what we got was unmissable.

What the others got sounds good though!  Were they new or used bottles?

Yikes. Apologies for the dud bottle. They were used so I can't have done a good enough job with cleaning/sanitation. Let me know if you're going to beervana and I'll buy you a beer to make up for it.

no worries, we all know that these things happen, we can't all be perfect!... wish we were going to beervana, but not this year - you'll have to have an extra beer there for us :o)

Well, it's time to 'fess up - I lost my notes on the last 3 beers of the swap! Such a rookie! I do remember a few things about this beer though

The first thing was how good it was, I mean REALLY good. I remember it was clear with a nice little head. There was something of honey about it - aroma or taste?

Great beer Haish - cheers.

Hey Hamish,

Apologies for getting to this so late, your bottle was crammed behind a massive jar of jewish dill peppers, and only found the other day. 

Poured a nice clear amber, great fluffy white head. The aroma seems to have subsided from what everyone experienced (doh!). The beer tastes like a lovely fruity pale ale that has been left too long, definitely has oxidized. Ah I'm bummed!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service