Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Couldn't make it. How was it?

Views: 712

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More like a swill fest :-)

My question would be "what is the intent of the festival"? Is it the beer industry behind it? Or just some promoters trying to make a buck.

Perhaps in my younger days it might have been okay, but it came up a bit short for me. Good beer and good music no doubt about that, but it wasn't really a tasting environment. But I say this with the wine industry in mind. Does the craft brewing industry just want to sell beer at all costs, or create an appreciation of the fine qualities of beer and define themselves from the mass beers? How about explanations to customers on the process of tasting? With 5-10,000 people there I doubt a high percentage would be enthusiasts, so why not a guide to explain the different styles of beer also. Both these latter ideas could be implemented by the craft brewing industry to be a standard available anywhere at any event.

Great to see so many beers available in one place, just too many to choose from:-) There were a few from the website guide that were notably absent, a shame because I was looking forward to some and I know others are good. The outfit doing Bath Ales were notable for being helpful with tasting, and pretty good beers to boot. The stand doing Yeastie Boys, Invercargill and Three Boys was absolutely chocker the whole time. Some were caught short and ran out of key beers before the halfway mark.  Some great acts secured for the event also, and not too much pressure on premium viewing areas.

The venue is appalling, with terrible acoustics indoors and not effort made to show case the harbour in any way. The portaloos and stage were such that every effort seemed to have been made to obscure the water. There were lengthy queues for the beer, although I guess that was to be expected. Terrible queues for the toilets though, come on this was a beer fest and much better thought should have gone into this! 

Those are my brief thoughts anyway, so I hope I am not being too critical. I don't expect to return next year.

I agree with most of what you say Scarffie, but if you knew what to expect and got in early there was some scope for tasting, at least to about 2.30.

Not very 'tasting' focused true, but still, a lot of new people tried beers they have never heard of, and growing those people is key for success.

I liked the venue, much better than a shitty car park and stinky concrete stables from previous events, but they could have had more thought put into the layout.

I got out at 5, munting kiwis were getting a bit in my face by then.

Well in light of that Hugh I am being a bit harsh. Hopefully there will continue to be improvements!

I think we arrived there about 1:30-2:00 pm, so yes we did get in reasonably early. We stayed around for the feelers and were in fact right at stage front, but these ears have enough damage already so we bailed after about three songs. The young guy Franko that was before The Feelers was a good act in my opinion, and it wasn't so loud then. I would go to see him again.

I think Scarrfie's being a tad harsh. Yes, we'd all like the event to be the Beervana of the North, but I'm not quite sure Auckland has got to that stage yet.

I really don't agree with the term "swill fest". In comparison to previous runnings of the same event this was a huge step forward. The number of mainstream breweries was significantly reduced, particularly if you ignore (as I did) the ones outside like Carlsberg & Macs.  Pretty much every bar was a craft beer bar. I don't think we've ever had that situation at a festival in Auckland. Yes, the organisers still play up the "party" angle (which I wish they wouldn't) but it felt significantly less bogan-y to me than previous years.

I agree they got their numbers wrong. More bars & more beer needed to cope with that volume of punters, and thank God Auckland put on one of its normal spectacular sunny days. I didn't think the venue was bad - toilet situation was OK, food was excellent. I don't go to a beer festival for the music so I didn't care about that.

All in all a good step forward I thought. Lessons to be learned for sure, but definitely positive progress.

You would think Auckland would be able to get it together eh Martin? I actually live an hour out and try to avoid the place if I can. But the swillfest comment was make tongue in cheek so don't take that seriously.

I guess having done the wine thing for many years it disappoints me not to see the same level of professionlism in beer. Being a designer I tend to be acutely aware of the environment around me, the sights, sounds, light, smells and the way people move. Sadly these things are rarely right in NZ and some of my criticism is of the venue rather than the function.

You hit on an important point in regards to the nature of the event, because my good lady saw it exactly as that rather than purely a beer function. You are quite right in that my leading comment was misleading of the crowd that was there, which was actually of pretty good standard. I doubt the Police would have had any real trouble.

Mate the portaloos out by the stage had a 15min+ turnaround!

I take back my comment about going again, but perhaps I will give it another year or two so it can be refined further.

As far as I know they had one arrest, so the kiwis were mashed but managed to keep it together pretty well, (for a huge bunch of leary kiwis).

If it rained, and all those people out side came storming into the Cloud, cue madness, sweaty armpits and scraps.

is beer "the new wine" to you?

Lol. Not really, I have always been a beer man but was dragged along kicking and screaming :-)

haha, just pulling your leg, funny you mention wine ive been to a few wine festivals and most havnt been pretty at the end, i'd rather swill' beer any day of the week!

I am a bit past the whole fest thing but really enjoyed it.

I'd usually rather spend $20 on yeast than a 4 pack of craft beer so it was nice to be able to sample beers I've heard si much about. Tasting pours were around $2.50 so $25 traveled well.

Missed out on a lot though.

Liked the deep creek selection (sneaky abv though), little creatures, bath ales, wigram.

Went home at 6, had a pint of 6.7% hb bock and was out by 9. Kids had to get themselves to bed.

Some random thoughts...

I was there and enjoyed it overall. I got in around 1PM and found the crowd to be a good mix. All the craft beers I tried I really enjoyed, and I felt the food was good as well. Not really sure why there was an admission ticket price as there didn't really seem to be any savings on the food or beer, certainly glad I didn't pay full price admission as I got my ticket online through GrabOne I believe. Didn't experience any problems with the bathrooms and I made use of indoor and outdoor facilities. 

With that being said although lots of beer was presented... the whole "craft" end of it was not really highlighted. Was little to no beer culture building happening there which in the big picture is more of what needs to happen IMHO. 

My only product specific gripe was that some of the craft beers I wanted to try which were listed as being available were not. Tall Poppy being an example. 

Anyone else try those $6 ribs? That was probably the best deal of the whole day! 

I also thought the admit price was a bit off, considering you had to buy beers but then I got there and realised.
A) $6 a full glass of craft beer, where are prices that low. I don't go out much but isn't $10 more the norm?
B) 10,000 people!!! Imagine if it was free. The only way that would work was if it was over 3 days. Remember the RWC opening night? And I'd be much more likely to brave crowds for beer than rugby.

I went VIP and would recommend the extra $20 for short toilet queues and although only Moa and Deep Creek were there, really short wait for beer. And could come and go for other beers.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service