Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I know people on here generally use burners but I was wondering if anyone has experience using their barbecue for brewing?

I am looking at getting a burner in time but I am keen to stop buying equipment and keep trying to improve on my grain brewing. My stovetop is not up to the task at all and so I was wondering if there is any reason not to go ahead and use the BBQ for a full BIAB. I was thinking of making 15-20 litres at a time and sitting my pot on the elements.

Any feedback welcomed,

Chris

Views: 531

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't see why not, as long as it can maintain a rolling boil. You could try it with water first I guess

I have a mate that brewed on his BBQ. You have to make sure the pot is sized appropriately, so that the burner can apply enough heat to get a rolling boil. I guess this is worth a try.

Do you have a good sized BBQ? Will it be able to support the weight of the boil pot when it is full? These things can get heavy depending on the size of the batch, and you wouldn't want it to be boiling and come down on you.

Pot is a 31ltr Trademe deal so not too big. I will do as Matt said and test it out with water. It seems to be a solid enough BBQ with a solid enough wooden frame to support it. One way to find out huh.

Yes try it, brewing does involve sitting around getting hungry/thirsty.. My brewing has always involved eating sausages cooked on my back up gas ring.

Only problem I can think of is round pot over a bar burner, you could be wasting some heat. Why not buy a 3 ring burner and hook it up to your bbq reg and bottle?

Was just looking at spending the cash on ingredients rather than adding to my set up. Also if I buy a burner I need to get one that has a stand. I have mainly grass and wooden areas and would rather not send anything up in flames haha! 

If there is a cheap enough option going with a stand chucked in then I'd consider it...

Bunnings sells tile or cinderblock square for a fairly cheap sum. I put my burner on a 1' x 1' piece of tile, so that is does not mar the concrete. Perhaps you can do the same with a cinderblock square?

Warning to all, shameless plug below:

I am upgrading to an all electric setup. In the next few weeks I will likely list my 3 ring burner and a turkey frier on trademe. :)

Sorry for the plug! :)

For whats its worth a simple timber stand could be knocked up with cheap timber and a ceramic tile under the burner.

Today I bought some treated 50x100 for just over $10 for 4.8m.  One of those will make a stand with a simple ceramic tile under the burner.  Within most peoples budgets.

A 6m length of rectangular tubing currently retails at about $30.  Stands are cheap to make and build, pay the welder with beer if you can't weld. Its amazing how many people like beer :p

Time is precious, don't waste it sitting for hours infront of a bbq, unless you are loading it with meat of course and happy to kick back and spend all day making it while you fill your face.  Not many better ways to spend a day, not with your clothes on anyway. 

Why size RHS is that for $30. Looking at actually setting myself up with a proper stand instead of spending 1/2 hour on brewday(night) rearranging the outdoor furnature into what could be called a work of art to the untrained eye. I got a pump now because it was not fun standing on top of your outdoor table to stir the mash so that it can drain into the kettle that can drain into the fermenter!

Sorry for going off topic.

I don't have my design book here at work sorry but the pipe was from Asmuss.  From memory it was 10x25mm with 10mm square section for under the burners.

http://www.hja.co.nz/

Give them a shout they are really helpful.  I had a good chin wag with the fella about making beer etc so he gave me a good deal but the material is not expensive.

For what its worth while I have been doing all the designs on the conicals along with a heap of other stainless tools the guys at the workshop are probably going to build a brewery.  The lads might start making frames so you might be able to buy them off the shelf.  I post on here a while ago seeing if there was any interest but not a bite.  I'm meeting with them on Friday for a few beers, will float it while I am there.

Yeah, I think I'll need to DIY mine to keep costs down (I need to build a trailer during winter so I could sneak this project in at the same time and the wife would be none-the-wiser!)

Cheers guys I will consider it especially if (on a BBQ) I would be spending too long as opposed to knocking brews out a bit quicker with a 3 ring etc.

(post from a while ago - looks like they out at the moment though. I think someone said bunnings had them for just under $70)

You can also get the 3 ring burners online at http://www.kiwicamping.co.nz/kiwi_camping.cfm?product_id=938&pa... for $59.95, and it looks like you get free shipping on orders $50+.

I don't work for them but saw it the other day when looking at camping stuff.

Only bother is unless you have a spare lpg regulator you'll be needing to unscrew you BBQ one from the BBQ and then into this (remomber to turn off the bottle nad disconnect the reg first)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service