Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Finally I will be brewing a proper beer on my own again. It may be Sunday, or Monday morning, depending on SWMBO and her demands.

I have this new Crank & Stein mill that I am itching to use, but no hopper! Do you folks reckon it would be ok to just through a bucket on top, and mill away, or try to actually make a hopper? I am not very handy.

The helpful note is that I will be using an Immersion heater, ala Bank's brewing. Bank's brewing will be building me a new HLT soon, and I look forward to the top notch work I have always seen from Chris!

Views: 200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you men butcher up a bucket to fit on top ?
Should work, might not flow too well, especially at the end

Didn't they have plans available to make your own hopper, though I can't see them there now.

Yes. I pretty much plan to 'butcher' a bucket.

I had to get rid of most of my tools for cutting wood, as they ran on 110v. Those that I did keep were stolen. As such, using the plans that someone made for the hopper just is not possible at this stage.

I reckon that the bucket will work, until the dregs are there, and then I will need to move them into the milling hole with my hand.

Yes, that's pretty much my thought too.
Better get that bucket, brew today so you leave tomorrow free for the North Welly RIS tasting !
What's the plan for the brew, the '05 or the english ale ?

Just chilling a brownie to pitch the 1099 I got from Newtown yesterday. Smacked it yesterday afternoon and it was puffed up hard as by late evening.

I plan to use 05 today, as the original intent was to use W1056. The packs of this were puffed up at the brew shop, so I bought US-05, and some British Ale yeast for next week's batch.

The British Ale yeast is on the stir plate now, and I should have a fair amount ready for next week's brew, and a few others.

Going through my tools, I found a jigsaw that I may be able to use if I plug it into my voltage converter. Hopefully the frequency difference does not fry the motor. I may just try making a proper hopper tonight.

Can anyone give me guidance on how to cut sheet metal, or where I can buy plexiglass? I may have some tin snips around, but IIRC these tend to ripple the metal a bit.

"then I will need to move them into the milling hole with my hand" Sounds like somthing you hear on a OSH or Sitesafe video LOL

If you have some materials you are welcome to come over here and we can knock something up? Shouldnt take long

I have a few odd bits of wood,ply,plexiglass etc but nothing substantial.

They sell small sheets of custom wood & plexiglass at bunnings.

If you have some sheet metal I have acess to a guilotene and folder.

Or if you just want to brew without all the handiwork today you could just borrow a North Welly mill ?

Just a note there Michael, for some reason W1056 seems to ALWAYS be puffed up, much moreso than other strains. Even a fresh batch of Wyeast direct from the states, invariably the 1056 is always quite puffy even when all of the others are fine. I have no idea why this is but just thought I'd mention it.

Dropped by Bank's Brewing today to get my mill sorted out. I show up with a sheet of MDE wood and went on and on about how I think this would work just fine...

I was wrong.

Chris instantly noticed how this wood split, and how weak it was. I was expecting too much of this for supporting my new Crank & Stein 3 roller mill! So, this ended being a lot of work, but Chris found a way to get it sorted to the point that I am using a very professional looking setup. (for a homebrewer that is!) 

Let me tell you...if you ever plan on building a hopper and a base for a mill, get quality material. It will make the job so much easier. I was just lucky that I had someone as experienced as Chris to sort this out for me. Another reason why Chris is my source of choice for custom brewing gear!

Hi Michael,

i've just ordered a crankenstein mill from good ol' USA. how long did yours take to deliver? Any tips on making the hopper and base? - first is to start scavenging materials

cheers

paul

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service