Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Everything is loaded in the container, and is being shipped back to NZ.

I have two CO2 tanks, but recall the fittings are different in NZ. Does anyone have a clue where to get the NZ fittings, so that I can put these on my tanks, or anywhere I can get a shop to do this?

Although I will not have all of my gear, for a couple or three months, I reckon I can still put down a batch if I can find a pot, as I am bring my Liberty BIAB bag back in my carryon luggage. :) I will just need to sort out cooling the wort.

Views: 1617

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where did you get your tanks from? I had a lovely D cylinder from the US which was new only 5 years before I migrated to NZ and when I brought it to get it filled I was told it needed to be "checked" and re-certified. The result was that it was given back to me with the valve removed and a cold chisel had been put through the threading rendering it as little more than $60 of scrap metal (it was made of aluminium).

Both of my CO2 tanks ar 5lb aluminim. Maybe with some luck, one of them won't get destroyed during testing?

Are they of US origin and DOT (Department of Transportation) certified? If so, then do NOT leave them out of your sight or you might end up in a similar situation to mine. At least you'll have the option to choose what happens.

Was this place in WLG?

If so, can you give me he name? I would like to avoid them.
I think you're safe - it was the old Wards in Lower Hutt. They don't do cylinder testing any more so you should be OK. To be fair you should ask lots of questions before you hand over your cylinder though.
That sucks, I would not have walked away without at least giving them a good bitching for destroying my cylinder. It is one thing to refuse to fill and make aware that it is illegal to fill unless the cylinder is certified/registered, but to destroy it without notice or consent is in my eyes a crime - he intentionally and wilfully destroyed your property. You could have gone through the process of registring your cylinder and getting it certified and stamped, but that guy didn't even give you the chance.
I was naive and did not know what was going to happen. To be fair I got $80 for it in scrap which was more than twice what I paid for it originally. And I put that towards a refurbished fire extinguisher so it wasn't a complete disaster - but it was a kick in the guts when I first saw what had happened.
Well if you're bringing the bag as carry on luggage, maybe the wife can carry on the kettle, the daughter the mash tun and son the chiller. Might be a bit of a squeeze in the overhead :-)

Yea, from what i hear the threads are different. What's the cylinder test place like in Porirua ?
I tried that though, but SWMBO would not allow it. Something about children needing clothes or other useless diatribe.

Hey Michael,

From the www.epa.govt.nz faq page (government agent for hazardous substances and new organisms - HSNO)

"All cylinders imported into New Zealand that are to be filled with compressed gases must be approved. The three key steps for approval are:

• design verification certification
  • pre-commissioning certification and
  • import clearance certification.

The certification is carried out by a test certifier approved for each type of certification.

The cylinders must be stamped with, among other things, a register or LAB number and the month and year of manufacture. These are normally stamped at the time of manufacture of the cylinder. The register number is in the form of LAB xxxx.

From time to time, individual cylinders are brought into New Zealand for use in New Zealand. These may come in as personal effects from people emigrating to New Zealand, or as diving gear on board visiting boats, or a paintball cylinder bought on the internet, etc. These cylinders may not be filled in New Zealand unless they are approved for this purpose, which means making an application for a special (SP) register number.  In the case of special cylinders, the register number is in the form LABSPxxxx

There are special arrangements for filling cylinders on ships that are simply passing through New Zealand."

From memeory the whole special registration/certification process could cost upwards of $200, so probably cheaper to seel the cylinder in the States and buy a new one here.

I fear that you will have a hard time finding a shop with the right adapters to connect to an American standard connection. I checked in Nelson at the fire extinguisher shop and they wouldn't have any thing to do with other than NZ certified tanks. And the valves use different threads into the top of the cylinder, so you can't replace the valves with the NZ standard.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service