Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Brewed a Vienna lager last night, used 3kg's Vienna malt, 1kg Pilsner malt, handful of wheat malt, 1kg of brewing sugar and lightly hopped with Hallertau cones. O.G is 1.035. I'm told that lagers normally take longer to ferment and at a lower temperature than ale yeast. So I have it at around 10 degrees. Shouldn't be any longer than two weeks before I bottle, right? 

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What yeast did you use?
I used Saflager yeast, the stuff in the yellow sachet. 

S23 I presume - personally I would think you may be rushing it a bit to be bottling in 2 weeks for best results at that temp.

Looking back I have had about 3 weeks primary then lagering in secondary as cold as I can (maybe 8 degrees for me) for as long as I can stand waiting and I really do feel the wait is worth it!

" and I really do feel the wait is worth it!"

Yep, he's right, patience is a virtue.
And yeah, I think patience is one of the main ingredients in brewing eh. ;)
Ah right, cheers for the advice! I've always worried about leaving it too long in the fermenter, but I guess Lagering is a slow process which works best in the cold. Also, by secondary do you mean once it's bottled? I'd have thought leaving the bottles in a warm room would be better..
Nah I rack to a carbouy and bung it in the fridge.
If you only have bottles, warm condition for a week to carbonate and then get them as cold as you can for several weeks - i.e. in the fridge.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service