Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Last weekend I made my first proper all grain beer. I got 3KG's worth of pale malt, 1KG of crystal malt, put it in (more or less) a huge tea bag and steeped it for over an hour. Added cascade hop cones and nelson sav pellets. Hopefully it may taste something near Cock & Bulls Fuggles Bitter, we'll see. :)

Views: 184

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I made a partial mash a few years ago using 500gms of crystal malt and it tasted pretty good! So I'm hoping this lot will be ok. :)
I can cope with the crystal, it's the word boil that I want to hear ...
If I read it properly, the OG was 1038 - does that sound about right?

One of my first AG was around the 25% in crystal and it was pretty tasty. I was kicking around figuring out the process of AG more than creating a good recipe so thats why I ended up with a grist like that. Probably helped that I missed my mash temp, lower than the target (Damn taking info from the US in degrees F and then using degrees C when brewing messed with my head!) so that probably helped dry it out a bit more!

I too was hoping that this was a very breif overview of what happened and the boil did happen.

How'd your beer turn out?

Good enough to drink. Actually it was pretty good, the big issue I had with it was getting it to carb in the keg (I keeped turning the fridge setting down from 10 -> 1, but didn't realise that was actually making the fridge warmer!)

I probably won't go that heavy on the crystal again though.

Lol - Yep I boiled the lot before I put it in the fermenter. ;)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service