Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

It was with great regret that I couldn't make it to Beervana... or the Beer Awards for that matter. In my real life, I maintain a high responsibility position and had some very high priority (for my customers) meetings and duties. Bad timing really - I had a massive import, several customer meetings, now today - a massive export.

Such is life.

Anyhow... it seems from where I'm sitting that this year has been quite easily the best Beervana year to date. I have been following with great interest the twitter streams... and facebook updates too.

While I'm at it - congrats to Soren for taking out champion brewery of 2011 - what a dream right? So so so so much the best result anyone could ever ask for aye: a cutting adge craft brewery taking honours over all the big boys. Awesome stuff!

Anyhow... feel free to comment on what you liked best at beervana or whatever you like... Don;t rub it in too hard that I don't get to be there though.

Cheers!

Joe.

Views: 2363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Was just thinking about my three biggest woots at the beer awards...

The gold for Renaissance Elemental Porter. One of my favourite NZ beers of all time and as overdue as Oyster Stout was last year (which got a pretty big holler too).

The silver for Liberty brewing Never Go Back... fantastic to see Joseph get some mad props for the beer that inspired our entry in the Media-Brewer Collaboration at Beervana.

and, of course, 8 Wired Champion Brewery... I would have yelled just as loudly for Richard Emerson if his 8th best beer had won the countback. And, knowing Richard, I'm sure he was quite chuffed for Soren.

And "Head Prefect" Craig Bowen's speech regarding Christchurch almost made me cry... Don't forget they still need our help down there.

That Silver is the highlight of my brewing career so far. I was actually out on a business dinner with two of my biggest customers, in one of New Plymouths most upmarket restaurants: The Garlic Press. Awesome French inspired cuisine - with prices to match! The clientele were all wearing ties - dresses - etc: they were out to have a nice posh time... then you texted me.

Lets just say that the rounds of high 5's and excited holla's were probably a bit inapropriate for the atmosphere.

We celebrated with boutique French Champange.

Work the next day was a challenge - but we all got through it.

Stu - from friend to friend... thanks for all of your support, help and advise over the years. Had it not been for you - this probably wouldn't have happened. I really look forward to the future - and doing more great brewing with you guys. Cheers matey!

*gets a room*

*blushes*

keep it up, that's all I ask!!

Totally forgot the Townshend gold for Sutton Hoo and silver for Cathcarts NTA!!

I know how hard Martin tries to make those beers great without giving into external pressures to make them bigger, hoppier, or cleaner... and how long a road it has been between his gold for No. 9 Stout (4 years ago?) and these ones... 

Fantastic!

Might stop him whinging on here for a couple of weeks ;-)

All in all a fantastic thumbs up from me. Loved the experience, right from setup on Thursday, drinking on Friday, and pouring behind the Central bar on Saturday.

There were way too many beers to list (I think my count was about 45 or so over the course of 2 days), but my favourites were Emerson's Black Op, Townshend JCIPA, Emerson/Kieran's RSB, Leigh Sawmill's 12 Gauge, Liberty's C!tra and Three Boy's Black Ball.

Big wins:

- Incredible selection of beer
  - Tokens worked great (even if David was a little worried about the volunteers ability
     to pour to a 100ml measure)
  - Brilliant food options
  - Live brewing demonstrations
  - Hard working volunteers (including duty managers) and awesome coordinator Steph

Minor gripes:

- Westpac wasn't a terrible venue - I don't think having bars on each side
    worked well in terms of crowd flow especially for the Friday evening
    session. Everyone hung out in the middle, making it hard to get through
    the crowds.
  - Timing of SOBA AGM - had to miss a good 30 mins to make sure I turned
    up at my volunteer session on time
  - Programme layout was a bit clumsy and awkward trying to flick through
    it while juggling a glass of beer
  - The regional bar concept was neat and certainly enjoyed volunteering behind
    Central, but was a little overwhelming trying to navigate the bars on Friday
    evening and trying to find all the beers. Found myself wandering up and down
    a little aimlessly at first rather than a more calculated approach. How about
    a layout by styles next year? :)
 - I'd echo the seminar comment. Was very hard to hear, especially when there wasn't
   any seats left and you were standing at the back.
 - Less unnecessary greenery
 - Would loved to have seen the brewers behind the bars a little more. I missed that
   from previous years.

Either way, thanks to David for putting himself on the line to host the event - it really was an awesome privilege to have this type of event in Wellington. Keeping fingers crossed that it's financially viable and looking forward to attending again next year

Unnecessary greenery? I was thinking how amazing a job David did taking a "concrete love tunnel" (think that was Shannon's phrase... apologies if I've pinched it) and making it feel warm and exciting. I think the plants and the clever use of lighting really contributed to this.

Agree re: AGM, hopefully you've read the minutes I sent out and have some thoughts! :)

Yeah plants and lighting were good for disguising the concrete.... but the frickin light pointed in my face from 11am to 10pm on the top of the south bar was driving me up the wall..... Felt like I was getting sunburnt from it!

I'm all for making it looking great, but having a bunch of plants in and around high traffic areas doesn't really work so well - bad memories of getting caught up in a real squash at the food show a few months ago with my daughter on my back.
I don't know if it was something to do with being the end of the last session, but there were a reasonable number of people trying to eat the plants in front of The North bar at about 9:30 on the Saturday :) Something in the beer maybe?
trying to get the taste of bruhaus frings out of their mouths?
Sale Street chili :)
I told you not to touch that stuff. It's bad bad bad.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service