Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ideas for a test batch? Successful brews? Just list ingredients/instructions, and tasting notes.

Views: 130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Belgian Oat Ale

4 Lb Pilsner Malt
1 Lb Oat Flakes
1/2 Lb Rice Hulls
2 Lb Wheat Malt Extract
2 Lb Corn Sugar
1/2 oz Chinook pellets (11.5% alpha) (60 min)
1/2 oz Chinook pellets (0 min)
2 oz Cascade pellets (0 min)
safale US-56 yeast

Bring 2 gal of water to 165 degrees F, add grain and rice hulls and
stabilize at 150-155F degrees. hold for 90 minutes. Bring to 160F
degrees for 10 minutes to complete conversion. Bring to 170F degrees
to mash out. Strain and sparge with 3 gal of water at 170F degrees.

Add wheat malt and corn sugar and bring to a boil and add 60 minute
hops. After 60 minutes, remove from heat and add remaining hops. Let
steep for no more than one minute then cool immediately. Pour
everything into fermenter with enough water to make 5 gallons. Aerate
well. Take hydrometer reading. Pitch yeast. Ferment til done.

Thought I'd start by sharing this one from a friend in Colorado, have not cooked up, but will try soon.
Interesting recipe, good luck finding rice hulls, ive not heard of any here but there may be somewhere, you will probably get away without them if you take the lauter nice and slow from start to finish, works for me with oats but takes me 1-1/12 hours
I was just wondering, what makes this recipe belgian? its certainly not the yeast or the hops, wouldnt American oat ale be more fitting?
With all of those end of boil hops, gee thats gonna smell good!
I agree, looks like an interesting and good recipe but I don't know what makes it Belgian?

Personally I'd use a little less corn sugar and a little more wheat extract though, or maybe a little bit more pils malt to help convert those oats, conversion would probably be fine though with a good quality malt.
I don't know if you'd even need the rice hulls.

The oats are only 20% of the grist which shouldn't be too sticky at that ratio surely ?

No brewing this weekend but the Irish red is chugging along in the garage @ 16 / 17C with Thames Valley Ale yeast. lowest I've used this and I'm interested to see how it goes.

Will be spending Sunday morning making this years batch of Tamarillo chutney instead.
Well, it's more of a New Belgium style ale, my best approximation of New Belgium's Skinny Dip. I think the variety in the grain bill gives it some credence as a Belgian style, and it's also great with Safale's T-58 for a yeast kick.

As for the rice hulls, I'd strongly suggest something, the oats get pretty sticky. If you can't find some, I'd try reducing the oats by half and increasing that amount of barley malt...or just get creative...
Hey bbb,
Why not send your buddy in Christchurch some rice hulls?
Our Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry might give it some trouble crossing the border at customs but they've allowed other foodstuffs for us before like coffee, canned fruit, & beans. I think as long as it's packaged with a barcode (showing brand, ingredients, nutritional info) they'll find it safe to enter.

c'mon do it for the beer!
If you do happen to find some rice hulls (in NZ) let me know - it will make my Wits a little easier.

Cheers H
Hop Monster Double IPA
O'Shea Brewing Company
Laguna Niguel, California

(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains)
OG = 1.076 FG = 1.019
IBU = 100 SRM = 13 ABV = 7.4%

This West Coast style double IPA is by far our biggest seller. It weighs in at 8.1% ABV and with over a 1/2 lb. of hops the IBU's register in at a whopping 141 IBU's. This beer is very smooth with a nice hop punch and a great citrusy aroma. Let this beer age and you will want more!

Ingredients
6 lbs. (2.7 kg) Alexander Pale liquid malt extract
3.5 lbs. (1.6 kg) Briess Light dried malt extract
0.75 lb. (0.34 kg) crystal malt (77 °L)
0.5 lb. (0.23 kg) carapils malt
11.7 AAU Nugget hops (60 mins.)
(1 oz./28 g of 11.7% alpha acids)
11.1 AAU Columbus hops (60 mins.)
(1 oz./28 g at 11.1% alpha acids)
0.34 AAU Amarillo hops (30 mins.)
(0.4 oz./11.3 g of 8.5% alpha acids)
4 AAU Centennial hops (30 mins.)
(0.4 oz. /11.3 g of 10% alpha acids)
4.4 AAU Columbus hops (30 mins.)
(0.4 oz./11.3 g of 11% alpha acids)
8.5 AAU Amarillo hops (end of boil)
(1.0 oz./28 g of 8.5% alpha acids)
10 AAU Centennial hops (end of boil)
(1.0 oz./28 g of 10% alpha acids)
11 AAU Columbus hops (end of boil)
(1.0 oz./28 g of 11% alpha acids)
8.5 AAU Amarillo hops (dry hop)
(1.0 oz./28 g of 8.5% alpha acids)
10 AAU Centennial hops (dry hop)
(1.0 oz./28 g of 10% alpha acids)
11 AAU Columbus hops (dry hop)
(1.0 oz./28 g of 11% alpha acids)
1/2 tsp. Irish Moss (last 15 min. of boil)
White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) Yeast
1 C. corn sugar (for priming)

Step by step
Place crushed grains in a steeping bag. In a large kitchen pot, heat 3 quarts (2.8 L) of water to 163 °F (73 °C). Submerge grain bag in this water and let steep at 152 °F (67 °C) for 30 minutes. While grains are steeping, begin heating 2 gallons (7.6 L) of water to a boil in your brewpot. When steeping is done, remove grain bag and rinse in brew kettle water (like making tea), pour in remaining tea and heat to a boil.

Once the wort has come to a boil, shut-off burner and add your liquid and dried malt extract. Stir gently, once dissolved turn burner back on and bring back to a boil. Add as much water in your kettle as you can but leave room for the initial foamy at the beginning of the boil. Once foaming has stopped, add the 60-minute hops and boil for 60 minutes, adding flavor hops at 30 minutes and Irish Moss when there is 15 minutes left in the boil.

When you have boiled for 60 minutes, shut-off the burner and add your finishing hops, put a lid on your brewpot and cool the wort in your sink in a cold-water and ice bath or use a wort chiller. Cool wort to 80 °F (27 °C) or less. Transfer the wort to your fermenter and leave as much trub behind as possible. Top up your fermenter to 5 1/4 gallons (20 L) with cool water, aerate wort and pitch the yeast. Ferment at 70 °F (21 °C). When fermentation slows to a halt, rack to secondary and add the dry hops. Leave in secondary fermenter one week then bottle or keg.

All-grain directions:
Replace liquid and dried malt extract with 14 pounds (6.4 kg) Maris Otter two-row barley.
Heat 18 quarts (17 L) of brewing liquor to 167 °F and mash in grains at 151 °F (66 °C). Recirculate wort until it runs clear (approximately 20 minutes.) Begin filling your kettle slowly while sparging with 170 °F (77 °C) water. Collect 6 1/2 gallons (25 L) of wort. Bring wort to a boil and boil vigorously for 60 minutes. Follow extract with grain directions above.

Copied from http://www.byo.com/recipe/
Does anyone have a successful Gluten-Free recipe?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service