Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Most of my beers are named after the less desirable characteristics of their country of origin. I have the "Moaning Pom" and the "Fighting Irish", and so on. This one is dubbed the "Annoying American" in honour of the perennial American tourist that has propped up so many borderline third world economies over the years.  Just like its namesake, this beer is a little bit fat, and a little bit loud, but I like it. Incidentally, it's the first straight re-brew I've ever done. Some of you will probably recognise the heavy plagiarism from JZs book.

21L batch, 1.061 -> 1.012, 6.4%, 51 IBU, 13.5SRM

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.90 kg Golden Promise Grain 78.6 %
0.35 kg Crystal Malt
Grain 7.0 %
0.35 kg Munich I
Grain 7.0 %
0.17 kg Caraamber
Grain 3.5 %
0.17 kg Dark Crystal
Grain 3.5 %
0.02 kg Chocolate Malt, Pale
Grain 0.4 %
23.83 gm Southern Cross [14.80%] (60 min) Hops 37.5 IBU
26.98 gm Amarillo [7.20%] (10 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
26.98 gm Cascade [5.80%] (10 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
27.01 gm Amarillo [8.50%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
27.01 gm Cascade [5.50%] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle S-05
Yeast-Ale

Views: 216

Replies to This Discussion

Yum, is this a rebrew of what you entered for WBC?

Nope, but this recipe was a starting point, then we "imperialised" it a touch and made a couple of other changes.The WBC entry had carared as an additional crystal, plus simcoe and amarillo for hops, and 1.084OG and 76 ibu.

Forgot to say in the post, bottled from the keg so should be nice and clear, I'm not enitrely confident with the keg -> bottle process yet so carb might be a little on the low side... Or it might be fine. I have no idea, I didn't keep a bottle back to test (foolishly).

carbonation sweet as!
First case swap beer for me, ever. Been enjoying red/amber ales lately so this was a natural first choice. Good label too. This may have been a bad choice, considering I'm off to a stag doo shortly at a bowling club that serves $4 speights handles. I'll be ripping through them like water after this beer

Delicious !

Poured nice and clear, deep amber/red. My palate isn't super qualified just yet but this hit the spot for me, very well balanced, nice juicy malt, a bit of caramel and a bit of toastyness with enough bitterness to keep it refreshing. Love the hop flavor. The aroma has something interesting going on behind the malt/hops that I cant pick, honey maybe ? I'm not sure.

Enjoyed this alot, thanks !

I had this amongst a slew of other beers on Friday night so feedback (and recollection!) is a little light... Subtle caramel malt and american hops on nose, more substantial caramel in flavour. Hops also there in flavour but left me wanting a little more. Shared this with a mate after a epic mayhem and have to say we both enjoyed your beer more, not overly bold in flavour but clean, balanced and very easy to drink. Cheers

Drank this tonight while making dinner for the kids, and both me and the wife loved it. Beautiful and clear with a thin white head. Carbonation was perfect for my taste, nice and gentle with a great mouthfeel. The aroma was all toffee and resinous fruit, which was definitely backed up in the flavour. Great bitterness, which was really nicely balanced against those big fat toffee malt flavours.

Loved it, would happily have drunk pint after pint of this. Great job guys.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I think Brew_sci is right and it was a little underhopped compared to my memory of the first brew of it. However, I didn't even have scales for the first brew, so I may have put more hops in... Or less! Who knows! I was dividing up 50g packets from Brewers Coop into little 10g lines with a credit card like it was green, lumpy, awesome smelling cocaine.

I'll definitely up the late hops or dry hop for the next brew of this - I feel it's going to be a regular on my taps and I'd like to get it spot on - so don't hold back with any criticisms.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Dont take my criticism too strongly, this is a great beer. My overall impression was one of a 'crowd pleaser', that is similar to what youd get at a good brew pub being clean and unobtrusive enough to please the masses, but maybe a little underhopped to keep the fiends happy...
Hmm ok. Thanks. I'll have to have an experiment anyway... I do like hops, after all.
Because youre a fiend!!!

Pours a crystal clear deep copper with a thin white head that dissipates. Carb is a bit low but just how I like it. Aroma is all toffee malt and dried fruits, with restrained american hops. Taste backs up the aroma, mouthfeel is a little thin.

For me this beer needs a bit more dark crystal and more hops too, it just left me wanting a bit more. Don't get me wrong though, its very well brewed and extremely drinkable. I don't think you're too far away... 

I'm interested to how you find it compared with the Amber you have from me as our recipes are very similar (hop schedules are identical).

Firstly, great label!

The beer poured crystal clear with a thin white head.  I also got a hint of honey which I'm quite familiar with my beers when using US05.  I find it eventually conditions out or dropping the ferementation temperature to around 16C.  I made an Amber Ale recently and it hung around for about 6 weeks.

Loved this beer though.  Nice caramelly malt notes and great hop flavour.  The Amarillo/cascade combo is always good, almost as good as simcoe/amarillo.  You could dry hop it if you wanted more phat hop aroma but I didn;t miss it. Too easy to drink for a 6.4% beer!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service