Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

FYI - NZ International Beer Awards Results

Some observations:
"Rogue IPA" took out the always contentious Supreme Champion award.
The foreign beers totally cleaned us out - only two NZ beers took out classes (and one of them was for NZ styles): "Wigram Propeller" and "Townshend No 9 Stout".
Strangest name - typically Japanese - "Draft One Sparkling Aroma" (just pipping "Menage A Frog", "Yellow Snow Ale" and "Old Crustacean").

Award the for supporting SOBA goes to Sapporro for their "Morimoto Soba Ale". Nice work!

Views: 94

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeh, I reckon that is a good idea. So all beers or top three beers count towards the score? Minimum amount of entries - 3 beers? 3 points for a gold, 2 for a silver, 1 for a bronze, 0 for no medal. Sounds like the SOBA NHC Homebrewer of the Year Award! I better check with the team to see if we're happy for you to use the format ;-)

It also adds another area of value for headline sponsorship, for almost no extra work.

A couple of areas of interest - are beers entered under their brand name (e.g. Mac's) or their brewery (Shed 22, Canterbury, Auckland). And what about breweries who enter only some of their beers? I suppose there isn't much you can do about that.
> cue Greig jumping in with anti-brand spiel

Who? Me? *Goes back to hating on marketing in the corner*
Did Emersons enter any beers do you know? Larry
Larry

I would suggest that the breweries from NZ that won something at this competition were the only NZ Breweries that entered.

i.e.
Wigram
Green Man
Lighthouse
Three Boys
Aotearoa
Moa
Tasman
Harringtons
Townsend
Waiheke Island
Assuming you are correct, good to see that no NZ brewers failed to win at least one award.
Don't forget Founders (who also won a medal).
Luke

Perhaps, but then again how many of the WBC winners can your average American buy?

Still, at least the consumer can enjoy the Supreme Champion winner from the 2006 NZIBA (Epic Pale Ale), eh?
Wigram didn't do to bad with 2 silvers and 3 bronze considering those beers were the first beers brewed by the new brewer there. Only good things can happen from further tweaking of the brewery and recipes. A gold is a hard thing to acheive and you realise that a beer that wins gold one year doesnt mean it will win gold the next as other beers get better and the judges interpretation of the style develops. Last year when their Munich Dunkel won Gold the same beer got nothing in other competions.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service