Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

pitched it last night, did didly shit in the packet and im worried that the contents are dead?  the water in the valve has moved a little though.

anyone used this one?

Views: 280

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What was the date on the packet? Consensus is to smack the pack one day earlier for every month past manufacturing date.I've had older packs take a week to activate.

A lot of us make starters too. You can find a calculator at Mr Malty that tells you whether you need to, and how big it should be.

feck, all i did was follow packet directions.  date was dec 2010.

will the wort survive?

Depends if the wort is any good, and how clean your brewing practices are. You should be able to get away with a couple days with no fermentation.

You probably will have needed to make a starter depending on the gravity of your wort. If it was over 1.050 then you should have made a starter. I still make them for beers @ 1.040.

If you didn't wait for the smack pack to swell up before you pitched it, then you probably shouldn't have brewed. You never know though... it might turn out OK.

I learned the hard way not to follow the instructions on the packet.  Like Dougal says Mr Malty is the place with all the info on yeast.  Unless you yeast is less than a month old and you are brewing a 1.040 beer then you will pretty much always need to make a starter of some sort.

Only drain pour I have ever had was from doing exactly what you have done mate :oS Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, although, like Jo says, you might get away from it...

In future, when using liquid yeast, especially for big beers, you NEED a starter!! Especially if you arent getting the yeast through the realbeer orders.

well I should have checked re starters...I reckon I may get away with it tho stay tuned.

SG 1080

You'll get away with it if you pitch 2 packets of US-05 in it right now, otherwise you'll more than likely end up with an infection. Or a sulphurous fermentation with loads of fusel and high alcohols, acetaldehyde etc.
Will swing past home brew shop on way home
bubbling away quite happily when i got home

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service