Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

So there's some

1469 West Yorks Ale Yeast doing the rounds in North Welly

First up my questions on the yeast and hops
S05 loves hops, S04 eats them up.
What does W1469 do to them ?

I'm going to brew a pale, 85% Malteurop 15% dark crystal (ship that order Joe !)
Using S05 I'd go IBU's about 90% of OG and my 1.034 would finish at 1.008 and I'd be hoppy and happy

So Wyeast reckon 67-71% attenuation - I'm mashing on the high side so what'ya think I should allow for ?
And what about the hop treatment, should I hop to expect losing a fair whack of flavour to the yeast, or will it be moderately kind to my pellets ?

Next what about reusing slurry. We've got 135ml of nice looking slurry harvested last Thursday, brewing next Wednesday , a lag of 14 days.

Mr malty suggests that we have more than enough yeast to just repitch, but I know that a lot of people talk about making a starter if the slurry is over a week old, what's the consensus chaps ?

Views: 282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My ferment temps currently at 19-20c too. The highest i've had in the downstairs room. We'll see how it goes.

Ringbinder's all done. 22L @ 1.036

Pitched the 1469 with a hefty shake up so it's wait and see time now. So far so good.
ringbinder?  you got rennet in that beer or something?
Rennet is the new peat, you're so last month...
Did you do the starter thing Matthew or is it a repitch & run ?
Nah, pitch and run was the theory for the day. Hopefully Mr Malty doesn't let me down...
Bubbling away nicely this morning so the gamble paid off ;-)
Hey, that's good news Matthew. Plans for another one, maybe a North Welly ESB ?
Ringbinder has passed the 'fit for public consumption' test. I'm pretty pleased with it. The pacifica and 1469 seem to play well together. An NZ ESB if you will :-)

Yea ?

That's good news

How many tests did you have to take to reach your conclusions ?

I love this yeast. Naturally it lends itself toward English style ales. It is a Tim Taylor's yeast strain, so think Landlord's. The first batch I bought, I had going for over 18 months, repitching! Meaning, I would wash it, store it, then regenerate it, over that period. I never had a problem with it.

As for off flavours, I never really noticed any, it's very attenuative(?), settles out quite well and very quick. Just make sure you have lots of head space in your fermenter, it'll want to crawl out.

I think it works well with most hops, certainly the one's I used (NS, Hallertau's, fuggles). I used it to brew my stout's, ESB's and best bitters. I don't think there is any problem with not matching a yeast strain to a style, but seriously, I would where I can. Naturally you are not going to get optimal results if you don't, but then I'm not a professional and it's hard to discern whether it's me or the yeast?

ps. I would never compare a dried yeast strain to a liquid yeast. enough said.

English style ales

Yes, would appear to suit them admirably. the first batch with this was formulated as a hoppy brown and it's come through as a nice malty brown with a bit of bitterness. Not what was intended or would have happened with an American Ale yeast, but good.

The next is a hoppy pale and had a larger late addition, still in the fermenter and has a bit more hop character than the brown. I holdout great hopes for this

I've got a third on the go this morning, a pale again, rebrew of a recipe that I did with an American Ale yeast but bumped up the hops to account for a point or two less in the FG.

This'll be the make or break batch I think. If it meets expectations I'll continue with it, if not, I might just keep it for malty browns and a rebrew of the mild that I haven't done for months.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service