Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

The Real Hawke's Bay

Information

The Real Hawke's Bay

Who cares about wine...? Wouldn't you rather get together, drink good beer and swap recipes, ideas etc... Of course you would.

Members: 23
Latest Activity: Nov 22, 2015

Discussion Forum

Hb Amateur Winemakers and Brewers

Started by David Grant Oct 22, 2015. 0 Replies

Hey Brewers ... and BrewstersIt's obvious that the only organised meeting place for Brewers of all Classes(ie Kits,extracts and All Grain in Hawkes Bay is HB Amateur W &B Club. Yes I know it's…Continue

Tags: bay, Hawkes

Catch up time... (code for 'sittin round drinkin beer talkin sh!t')

Started by Fairlane. Last reply by FatD Oct 5, 2013. 14 Replies

ok guys I think it's that time again... I'm proposing Sunday 6th Oct at my place out on the farm.  This gives you all time to sort your lives out  :)Continue

B.A.D. III

Started by Jim Poppelwell. Last reply by Nathan Murrell Feb 22, 2013. 1 Reply

Hi Everybody,Just wanted to let you know about Beer Appreciation Day III coming up on Saturday, March 2... eight days and counting!We've managed to pull together our biggest range of beers to date,…Continue

Tags: bay, hawke's, festivals

Another 'Masher' in the Bay

Started by John Pagler. Last reply by John Pagler Oct 10, 2011. 5 Replies

Hi Guys,I am fairly new to the Bay and would welcome the chance to meet up with other 'Mashers' or Home Brewers in the area. I moved to Napier from S Wales just over three and a half years ago and…Continue

Comment Wall

Comment by Nathan Murrell on September 24, 2012 at 3:24pm
Yeah might have to figure out how frequently we can/want to do it so we can lock in a date early to avoid clashes as much as possible. Might also give us a chance to do similar styles and compare them, although doing that lightest to darkest was great to show a few styles. Still blown away by that 20%...sure I can still taste it in the back of my mouth haha

Hey Fairlane, any chance you could please flick me a Pils recipe to try??? Def one of my favorite styles so would love to give one a go.

Dermot...are you going to be selling grain? I'm just south of Havelock so your not far away.
Comment by FatD on September 25, 2012 at 9:14am

Yes, lets look at Fairlanes 300 litre kit next month. When is it ready? :o

Thursday is quite good, as just one work day to go! lol

Ahh John, would be keen on an ESB or Scottish ale collab. Got all ingredients except for Pale Choc(only got dark). I think I have ordered yeast for scott, but would need ESB yeast. 70 litres is max I can make.. keg n 3/4 each. be keen on a Mexican at some point..

Ahh yer not interested in making a living out of grain, just heaps it ticking over, as freight is too expensive just for a couple of bags. I have to order 8-10 at a time..

$5 for overseas malt a KG
$4 for Pale & Pilsener including overseas a KG ($3 for malterop pilsen this month)
$6.50 for US05 & 34/70 Yeast 12gm packs(Can do any size you want). I package my own like Liberty, so some people might not like that. Always works for me though.

Got crazy stuff like Peated Malt, flaked Maze, Abbey malt, aromatic etc at the moment.

Comment by Fairlane on September 25, 2012 at 9:21am

Nathan, here is the guts of the recipe.  Easy as easy.

Well, except for the decoction part which is your worst nightmare  :))

My Pils Recipe

If you don't choose to do the decoction mash, try to do a step mash at least.

Other key factors - proper yeast starter preparation, yeast nutrient, ferment temp at 10-12 deg with diacetyl rest, and real important a couple weeks at 2 degrees in the bottle after bottle ferment.

Comment by Nathan Murrell on September 25, 2012 at 10:18am
Will do some research on the decoction...have read a little. Any sub for the riwaka since its hard to get?

Dermot - was just meaning for the odd purchase here and there, like you said it keeps your grain ticking over.

Would be interested on helping out with the esb brew...have tried a couple and become a bit partial to them.
Comment by Peter Youngquest on September 25, 2012 at 11:10am

Nathan - I am going to be doing a decoction brew end of the week some time. Trying to put together a wheat doppelbock which is full bodied. Haven't tried decoction so far so very interested in the result. 

I am new to this group but am interested in getting involved in the regular catch ups if they continue.

Comment by Fairlane on September 25, 2012 at 11:59am

Nathan, you could try Pacifica for more german rather than bohemian style maybe...?

Comment by Nathan Murrell on September 25, 2012 at 12:26pm
Thanks...haven't tried pacifia yet so might be worth a crack. Was going to grab a liquid pilsner yeast to try as well.

Where in the bay are you Peter? We had a great night last Thursday tasting some really nice beers. Pretty sure the meetings will continue
Comment by Peter Youngquest on September 25, 2012 at 12:52pm

In Hastings

Comment by FatD on September 26, 2012 at 12:38pm

4:1 ratio of motueka to nelson sauvin they recommend for riwaka. I get Turkish delight and tropical fruit tho lol...

did 70 litres of Evil Dead Red :) smells fantastic. 300gm Amarillo 300gm centennial. No more Amarillo hops ha. recipe doesn't have any bittering hops. just flavour and aroma. so will be interesting! 1.066

Comment by Nathan Murrell on September 26, 2012 at 4:06pm
Sounds great Dermot! Will have to get a space sorted out here so I can get a brew going very soon.

Was thinking of going this way as an easy/cheap upgrade from BIAB... http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/forum/topics/two-vessel-two-tier-br...

I already have 50L pot and was thinking of going 32L for a mash tun...pretty easy and cheap to source off TM. Just need to go source the fittings for each pot and get them fitted but the guy in the post suggested Blackwoods on Omahu Road.

You guys got any opinions? Anyone handy with tools that might be able to assist with fitting them?

Adrian...do you still have some pots sitting around? What size were they?

Comment

You need to be a member of The Real Hawke's Bay to add comments!

Members (23)

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service