Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

The Real Hawke's Bay

Information

The Real Hawke's Bay

Who cares about wine...? Wouldn't you rather get together, drink good beer and swap recipes, ideas etc... Of course you would.

Members: 23
Latest Activity: Nov 22, 2015

Discussion Forum

Hb Amateur Winemakers and Brewers

Started by David Grant Oct 22, 2015. 0 Replies

Hey Brewers ... and BrewstersIt's obvious that the only organised meeting place for Brewers of all Classes(ie Kits,extracts and All Grain in Hawkes Bay is HB Amateur W &B Club. Yes I know it's…Continue

Tags: bay, Hawkes

Catch up time... (code for 'sittin round drinkin beer talkin sh!t')

Started by Fairlane. Last reply by FatD Oct 5, 2013. 14 Replies

ok guys I think it's that time again... I'm proposing Sunday 6th Oct at my place out on the farm.  This gives you all time to sort your lives out  :)Continue

B.A.D. III

Started by Jim Poppelwell. Last reply by Nathan Murrell Feb 22, 2013. 1 Reply

Hi Everybody,Just wanted to let you know about Beer Appreciation Day III coming up on Saturday, March 2... eight days and counting!We've managed to pull together our biggest range of beers to date,…Continue

Tags: bay, hawke's, festivals

Another 'Masher' in the Bay

Started by John Pagler. Last reply by John Pagler Oct 10, 2011. 5 Replies

Hi Guys,I am fairly new to the Bay and would welcome the chance to meet up with other 'Mashers' or Home Brewers in the area. I moved to Napier from S Wales just over three and a half years ago and…Continue

Comment Wall

Comment by FatD on October 1, 2012 at 10:12am

nah, wouldn't use pots, as you have to have 3 heating vessels. Way better to stick with 2 x 10 gallon picnic coolers as they stay at the same temp..

Use just one pot then..

Comment by Nathan Murrell on October 1, 2012 at 1:20pm

I don't suppose you know someone that has a couple? ;)

Or the other thought is a chillybin mash tun...

Comment by Peter Youngquest on October 1, 2012 at 2:38pm

@Nathan I did the decoction brew the other day. Little bit extra work but all seemed to go well. The wort was a deep brown colour. Have done the malt balance before and the wort wasn't quite so deep coloured. OG 1060 and happily doing its thing in the fermenter. Looking forward to the tasting ;-)

Comment by Nathan Murrell on October 1, 2012 at 4:30pm
Will PM you Peter and exchange details...might swing by one day soon and meet you ;)
Comment by Nathan Murrell on October 16, 2012 at 1:19pm
YAY! Getting ready to do my first brew (well overdue and long awaited) in six months now life has settled down again...phew! Bit of a crack at a pale ale to try something new, going to be using cascade and motueka for this one but yet to formulate the hops additions. Thanks again Peter for picking that grain up for me ;)
Comment by Peter Youngquest on October 16, 2012 at 2:45pm

Go hard mate :-)

Comment by Nathan Murrell on October 16, 2012 at 3:05pm

Yikes....plugged that grain bill into Brewmate and even with my low efficiency it shows as 1.069! Think I have a good mix of hops with cascade at 60 then a mix of cascade/ moueka at 10, 5 and 0. Oh well...time will tell..

Comment by FatD on October 16, 2012 at 3:31pm

ha, yer think you're suppose to be around 1.050 for a pale for 20-30 IBU..

1.25 qt. of water per lb of grain for mashing

Think you only have to do 60, 15 and 0 for pale..

ha man did one other day forgot to recirculate and only got 1.04 instead of 1.05. Didn't have enough water either! lol

I'm ready for the next meeting. got 2-3 new beers :o 

Comment by Nathan Murrell on October 16, 2012 at 4:34pm
Haha...easy to make mistakes. All part of the learning process.
Looks like i'll get more than my 23l with this one then...already realised it was going to be too high so needs some rejigging before he morning.
Yup...must start planning the next meet!
Comment by Nathan Murrell on October 17, 2012 at 2:07pm
Doh! False start this morning. Busy getting ready heating up mash water so it could do its thing while I went to town for lunch....but can't find my thermometer!!! Damn sister was last one to use it to try to sous-vide some whole eggs (which were really cool) Oh well....have a new bigger thermometer now and mash is doing it's thing. Those laundry bags are awesome Peter...heaps of room for 7kg grain

Comment

You need to be a member of The Real Hawke's Bay to add comments!

Members (23)

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service