Grainfather Users Group

Information

Grainfather Users Group

Members: 48
Latest Activity: Nov 13, 2018

Discussion Forum

Grainfather Version history

Started by Jeff Nov 13, 2018. 0 Replies

Hi all.I've re-discovered home-brewing over the past three years having previously made some awful stuff in the early eighties with a bunch of mates whose common thread was having a mortgage and no…Continue

WORLD Brew Day - Sat May 5th

Started by Chris Carter. Last reply by Chris Carter May 6, 2018. 3 Replies

HIJust wondered if any of you are partaking.  Sounds like good excuse to brew another beer and have a bit of fun along the way.I'm housing a brewday with a few folk who are keen to learn about AG…Continue

Tags: World Brew Day 2018, Little Creatures IPA Clone

Grainfather Beer Quality

Started by MrC. Last reply by MrC Apr 30, 2018. 9 Replies

There is plenty of information on the web about the brewing experience with the Grainfather and to honest it looks very appealing and I'm tempted to get my credit card out right now and buy one.…Continue

Tags: Quality, Beer, Grainfather

Reiteration mashing

Started by Mark Weusten Apr 3, 2017. 0 Replies

I did an Imperial stout in the weekend and mashed two lots of 5kg grain to get the required abv. Week 74 Grainfather blog tells me to…Continue

Comment Wall

Comment by Mark Weusten on October 23, 2014 at 9:54am

I see MJ's have a new AG kit out on the website, a session IPA called "Easy Drop"

Comment by Chris on October 30, 2014 at 9:18pm

Has anyone noticed really slow delivery times from grainfather.co.nz Can't get the cleaner I ordered over a week ago, slowing down my planned brews.

Comment by Taubin on October 30, 2014 at 9:37pm

I'd email them. I had the same issue, and they said it got caught up in their system. 

Unfortunately the shipper they use for here (Posthaste) is worthless. I live in an apartment complex and they won't come to my door. They left a card in my mailbox, and then wanted $2.50 to redeliver it. I told them where they could shove it. I work from home and I'm here all day long. This is the second time a delivery from Grainfather has not been delivered to my door, so I'll be skipping buying from them until they change shippers. 

Comment by Dan on October 30, 2014 at 10:31pm

They definately need to work on their customer service shit. Especially since they are going global. I received a grainfather that had a chiller that was sub standard. Crappy made in China shit really!!! Apparenty im getting at new chiller.
Fuckn hope its better.

Comment by Dene McDonald on October 31, 2014 at 9:12am

My chiller leaks too - I need to play with it to see if I can stop it leaking but I have the hose clamps as tight as they will go. I think my immersion chiller is much better.

This guy has started stocking the Grainfather stuff and his shipping is cheaper and faster so I'll be getting stuff here. 

Comment by Peter Smith on October 31, 2014 at 9:20am

interesting bulk buys wgtn owns that domain

Comment by Mark Weusten on October 31, 2014 at 9:22am

I am going to replace all the hose clamps on my GF for around 10 bucks. Beats having leaks.

Comment by Mark Weusten on October 31, 2014 at 9:23am

By the way has anyone tried any MJ AG kits apart from Chur? I am interested in trying the Glacial Pilsner non temp controlled kit.

Comment by Pilgrim on October 31, 2014 at 9:27am

I think the chiller problem is with the design of the fittings. they have a straight connection where they should really have a barb or at least several ridges also the hose clamps are rather rigid. I have bought some different clamps and intended to fit a short length of silicon tube to the fitting with a double ended barb going from the silicon to the PVC tubing, but now I've re-bent an immersion chiller to fit the Granfather and intend to use that from now on. 100-30 in 17 minutes will do me and it's a lot easier to clean than the counterflow chiller, thereby shortening the brew day overall.

Comment by David M on October 31, 2014 at 9:41am

Imake replaced my initial chiller but that one  leaked too. I agree the hose clamps are a bit crap. Problems I had were they cut through the hose when over tightened which is what I think they have been doing to get a seal on non-barbed fittings. With initial chiller it was the outer black pipe that was cracked which is why it went back. With the second it was the clear water in hose - easy to fix - removed the hose and cut off the last 2cm of the hose - reattached using a better clamp (look for ones that don have a sharp or too long internal tail - got some from Bunnings). All works sweet now.

Comment

You need to be a member of Grainfather Users Group to add comments!

Members (47)

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service