Grainfather Users Group

Information

Grainfather Users Group

Members: 48
Latest Activity: Nov 13, 2018

Discussion Forum

Grainfather Version history

Started by Jeff Nov 13, 2018. 0 Replies

Hi all.I've re-discovered home-brewing over the past three years having previously made some awful stuff in the early eighties with a bunch of mates whose common thread was having a mortgage and no…Continue

WORLD Brew Day - Sat May 5th

Started by Chris Carter. Last reply by Chris Carter May 6, 2018. 3 Replies

HIJust wondered if any of you are partaking.  Sounds like good excuse to brew another beer and have a bit of fun along the way.I'm housing a brewday with a few folk who are keen to learn about AG…Continue

Tags: World Brew Day 2018, Little Creatures IPA Clone

Grainfather Beer Quality

Started by MrC. Last reply by MrC Apr 30, 2018. 9 Replies

There is plenty of information on the web about the brewing experience with the Grainfather and to honest it looks very appealing and I'm tempted to get my credit card out right now and buy one.…Continue

Tags: Quality, Beer, Grainfather

Reiteration mashing

Started by Mark Weusten Apr 3, 2017. 0 Replies

I did an Imperial stout in the weekend and mashed two lots of 5kg grain to get the required abv. Week 74 Grainfather blog tells me to…Continue

Comment Wall

Comment by Mark Thomas on October 14, 2014 at 8:42am
I have some PBW at home but I don't think it works out any cheaper than the Grainfather cleaner
Comment by Dene McDonald on October 14, 2014 at 8:49am

I've just gone to order some cleaner and I'll continue my moan about the price... $29.95 + $15 delivery to the South Island! That's $45, and I can get a 5 kg of oxi-clean delivered for $25 that will last 10 times longer.  I really want to use oxiclean  but I can see some metals in their that might turn black and I don't want to risk it!

Comment by Taubin on October 14, 2014 at 8:51am

$15 delivery seems a bit steep to me. Are there any homebrew stores near you that might carry it?

Comment by Dene McDonald on October 14, 2014 at 8:55am

The local store does sell the GF but I don't think they have the cl;ear will give them a call. Hauraki delivery to South Island is $7 which is much better.

Comment by Taubin on October 14, 2014 at 8:56am

That sounds a lot more reasonable. I should have popped in there to pick up my cleaner from the sounds of it. I'm waiting to hear back from imake as to what happened to the one I ordered. 

Comment by Dene McDonald on October 14, 2014 at 8:57am

Trade Me - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=792903359

Includes combined shipping so maybe time to get some hops as well!!!

Comment by Karl Summerfield on October 14, 2014 at 11:44am
I have some PBW at home but I don't think it works out any cheaper than the Grainfather cleaner
That's fair enough. I'm happy to stick to the Grainfather cleaner. I just get a bit suspicious when you have to use a special product, and only they can sell it to you. Especially because stainless and copper are used all the time by brewers all over the place. Is there aluminium in the pump maybe?
I brewed up my Chur kit yesterday. I'm not a great one for reading instructions and forgot to use the gypsum. Oh well. I got 1.045 pre-boil and 1.054 OG. Pretty much bang on for the OG. Looking forward to sampling it.
Wouldn't adding the gypsum have a different effect in different parts of the country because water differs from place to place?
Comment by Mark Thomas on October 14, 2014 at 6:04pm

Yeah if you're on groundwater you'll probably already have hard water, so the calcium sulphate probably wouldn't be necessary. There's a discussion somewhere on this website where people were discussing the levels of the various salts in their water supply around NZ.

Heaps of info about water here http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/310-brewing-water-tips-from-the-pros

All I can say is, I used the gypsum, Grainfather and a glass carboy for the first time for the Chur brew, and it tastes amazing. Not sure which factors made the difference though.. probably all three.

Comment by Chris on October 14, 2014 at 6:16pm

Yes the supply would affect the addition.

Gypsum wouldn't be to bad unless you have a really hard supply of water.

The chur was made in auckland and would most likely be based off their supply or even just an RO/distilled source.

Comment by Karl Summerfield on October 14, 2014 at 6:58pm

When Iived the Chch, the city council had a water report on their website: http://www.ccc.govt.nz/homeliving/watersupply/ourwater/chemicalanal.... Nelson doesn't :-) So who knows how hard the water is around here. It leaves a scale on the kettle, which I never saw in Chch, so harder than Chch for sure. Based off that water report, Chch should be producing some kick-arse pilsners eh?

Comment

You need to be a member of Grainfather Users Group to add comments!

Members (47)

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service