Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70879

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used a shot of espresso coffee in the 2ndary for my Bourbon Porter - recipe called for it but not sure why as it didnt add much.. But I just went to starbucks, asked for a coffee shot and tipped it straight into 2ndary..
Ok, this is what I have just now

Last of the Summer Ales
100% Golden Promise
100% Riwaka Hops
US05
1.050 OG
35 IBUs
Mash at 67C

What do you think. Keep it simple or add in a little crystal/munich/wheat? Maybe a complimentary hop?
I'd keep it simple and go with what you've got there. I did a 100% Riwaka 100% MO ale late last year, it started out nice but maybe a little harsh (with onions?), it now seems to be mellowing (and onion free) and is fast becoming a favorite. Less is more.

Having said that, I've never used Golden Promise :)
I did a blonde ale with just 17g Riwaka for finishing and some Pacific Jade for bittering, was a really nice beer, a nice hint of riwaka citrusness. I used BB Pale malt and some carapils and caramalt but it ended up too sweet.

Didn't Joking do a GP + Riwaka SMaSH?
His one was with Simcoe - and it was sooooooo freeeekin good.

Unbelievable!

I had some of the Yakima Monster too. Oh My God.
What % of caramalt DG ?

I've tried between 0 and 5% and settled on 2.5% - no carapils though
4.3%

2.5% would have been spot on in that beer probably.
I did a very similar thing for my last brew, except i had 20% pilsner malt & 80% MO.
It was very nice, clean and quite dry (It finished at 1.008), just had the last of it on Saturday.
That looks mean bro. Have you given much thought towards the late additions? Riwaka is the shit within the last 15mins in the kettle. Dry hopping with 20 - 30grams is nice too!
Hey thanks for that. I hadn't put too much thought yet in to the hopping schedule but fair to say there will be some late additions and possibly some dry hopping if I've got any hops left over. Sounds like I'll run with the one grain one hop plan.
I need some advise...

I remember making a brew from a tin that I bought from the supermarket. The instructions said to add 1kg of sugar (which I did) and there was some yeast in the lid too - so I used that. I bottled it after 2 weeks in the fermentation chamber, and left it in the bottle for a month. Now, when it came to drinking it - it tasted nothing like the "Lion Red" logo that was on the tin... more... sort of tasted like cider!

It was due to experiences like this that made me move to A G brewing... but I wonder... with the kit... Where did I go wrong?
A. You bought it !

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service