Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70879

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry Joseph, I meant Rakau.

4.5 KG Bohemian pilsner
300 g crystal
250 g carahell

I know this looks like a lager malt bill, but I find the Euro malts, even the lager ones to have so much more character, than ours and depending on what you use them with, in this case, some crystal and a little carahell and an English ale yeast, they lend a lot to the finished beer.

thanks for the advice in advance.

to be put onto my Ringwoods ale yeast from the last brew.
Let me know how that Ringwoods turns out. I had a good brew with it, froze some Gen 1 yeast, recultured it into 2 brews and had some weird shit going on.
I stand by Ringwoods ale. It's a stable, friendly and forgiving yeast strain. It's highly floculant and gives some good, malty, smooth tones to the beer.

Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale - Manufactured 8th June 2009
Great yeast strain with unique fermentation and flavour characteristics. Distinct fruit ester and high flocculation provide a malty complex profile, also clears well. Thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete.

Origin:
Flocculation: High
Attenuation: 68-72%
Temperature Range: 64-74F, 18-23C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV
yeah, looking at getting a pack of this stuff in the next Wyeast order 'pon your recommendation Tony
I'd probably stick to using that Rakau for bittering mate. Boil enough for 60mins to give you 30IBU. Put that Sauvin at 30mins (say 20 - 50g) to give you some flavour, then Maybe some Riwaka at 10 mins if you have any - like 25g?

Than dry hop with however much you feel necessaty after your fermentation has finished to brightn up your aroma.

How does that sound mate?
sounds like good advice to me, mate. Thanks.
Thoughts on my American Cream ale??

2.5kg Golden Promise
720g Flaked Maize
90g Munich II
90g Carapils
35g Caramunich II
180g Cane sugar
60 - 5g nugget 11.6%
15 - 15g Amarillo, 15g Cascade
FO - 12g Amarillo, 12g Cascade
Dry - 12g Amarillo, 12g Cascade
Too much hops.

:-P

Edit - Acutally too much everything.

Base malt, corn and bittering hop only pls.
Yeah - I thought about brewing one of these ages ago... until I researched the style and found out that a "Cream Ale" is a flash word for "Export Gold Ale" or DB Ale... I decided against it.

Started brewing IPAs instead.
Im going for a pre-prohibition style cream ale :oP Which means I can have more hops, including dry hops and more bitterness!!

Style guidelines aside, reckon itll taste good? lol
It'll taste good, but it's closer to a blonde ale I reckon, or maybe a lame pale ale :-P

How many SRM/EBC is that?
I think 6 SRM

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service