Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was really confused for a minute, until I realised I wrote porter instead of pilsner. But yes, PKB is very nice. I am thinking of doing something along the lines of Tuatara Pilsner with Motueka, Riwaka, and Nelson Sauvin Hops. 

I may not be on correct thread but,  does efficiency or BIAB effect the darker malts more then base malts?

I ask As I use a single large pot for the mash, then batch sparge through this and dont get amazing numbers,   to hit OG I normally increase published grain bills by about 20% BUT  I am left wondering does the lower eff hit the darker malts even harder?   or is it my mash temps,   I normally try for around 67C mash, as my beers dont seem to have the full maltiness depth expected, more paler ales then say big IPAs

ahh that is a good one.

I don't know the answer to the first... different grains have different extract potential (conversion of starch to sugars) but I base my target gravity on the whole grain bill and not parts of it. The software we use seems to know how to calculate this stuff.

The temperature of your mash should also be targeted to the style of beer your are after... generally lower temps for pale or dry beers and higher temps for heavy or sweet ales, even using stepped temperature mashs to get the best of both brews. Lower temps mashes (<65C) do seem to take a lot longer to full convert.

There is a hell of a lot of reading on the net about this.... http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/ is probably a very good star... this link did my head in but has lots of info... http://byo.com/mashing/item/1604-what-mash-temperatures-create-a-sw...

Oh btw - Fine grain bags used in BIAB means you can use a really fine grind and get higher efficiencies. Try putting the grains through the grinder twice (Not much point if you are getting 75% plus anyway but can't hurt to try).

I have just got my own mill so will be able to experiment a bit now.....

and have 2 sacks of grain on the way.....        so once I chew through these

and learn my mill I hope to have mastered things a bit better, next brew I am going to up the dark % and  see what happens, got a pale ale to bottle tonight where I was trying to clone the ale in epic ..  without hops just tryning to get the base right, it tastes real good from the fermenter  8)

Does anyone have a copy of the Recipe for the Zea-hop fresh wort kit that mangrove jacks did with Deep Creek brewing earlier this year?

I've lost my copy and I'd like to remake it, I had it on tap at my shops tent at the Karapoti race earlier in the year and ever since people keep asking me about it/for it, turned out to be more popular than the keg of parrot dog I had on tap at the same time.

Planning a 7% Bock (my first lager) to be brewed next week.

Pilsner malt 60%

Munich malt 30%

Cararoma 5%

Caramunich 5%

Mostly leftover Hallertau hops to get to 30 IBU, maybe less, and a little bit of flavouring. Will use leftover Pacific Jade for bittering if I don't have enough of the hallertau left.

Probably use the Safale lager yeast, although could use Mangove Jacks either. Will make a big starter especially as I don't have temp control and just using a cold room but I've been monitoring temps over the last week and fingers cross the weather won't be too warm next week.

Will stick it in the fridge at 4 celcius for secondary as I'm heading away for a month next month and give it 6 weeks or so in secondary.

Any comments on the grain bill? I'm gunning for a thick caramel/toffee flavour but without raisin/tart/christmas cake character..

Another AIPA recipe looking for some feedback if someone is able please?

Will the below make a reasonable hash of an aromatic ipa, with an american slant? 

Have had some joy with chinook / cascade combo before (Sierra Nevada I guess), but am also loving the Liberty Citra, would like something i can drink more than 1 glass of.

Am thinking I should up the IBU's to more like 70? I don't understand why Brewmate is giving me a FG of 1015, my beers have been finishing at 1008 with similar malt bills. 

[b]#45 The 4C's IPA[/b]
American IPA

[b]Recipe Specs[/b]
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.850
Total Hops (g): 240.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.060 (°P): 14.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.89 %
Colour (SRM): 6.9 (EBC): 13.6
Bitterness (IBU): 54.8 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

[b]Grain Bill[/b]
----------------
5.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (85.47%)
0.300 kg Caramalt (5.13%)
0.300 kg Crystal 10 (5.13%)
0.250 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (4.27%)

[b]Hop Bill[/b]
----------------
15.0 g Columbus Pellet (14.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
25.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
25.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
25.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
25.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
25.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
25.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.1 g/L)
25.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.1 g/L)
25.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.1 g/L)
25.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.1 g/L)

[b]Misc Bill[/b]
----------------

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

Looks like a pretty similar grain bill to one I've used recently; which incidentally was based on the homebrew recipe that Ballast Point Sculpin IPA was developed from.  That's got to be a good start.

70 IBU with a 1.060 beer will be quite bitter beer.  Most American IPAs have a BU:GU of 1.0.

I've had some good success using first wort hopping.  Instead of doing a 60 minute addition, add some hops to the kettle when you're collecting your first runnings (Typically using a flavour/aroma variety, at about 1/3 of your total additions). 

Its supposed to give a better flavour profile, as hop oils have time to solubilise in the hot wort before they are boiled off.  I can't yet say if that's the case, but it certainly has a smoother bitterness (in my opinion).

Also, I might ferment a little lower (pitch at 18C, rise to 20C over a few days, if you can control temp).

Thanks
That's got to be a good start on the grain bill!!
Agree re the FW, the actual / perceived bitterness seems To involve some guess work, but effect seems good.
Will first wort the60 mins, and up to 70ibu per brewmate, FWing should make it taste a little less.

Should a Citra and centennial combo make a good late hop profile?

I imagine so.  Both are aroma/flavour hops with big citrus character.

I used a Citra and Simcoe combination for the aforementioned IPA, to give a spicy/evergreen balance to the citrus.

In your case, I imagine the Columbus would provide some woody/resin character, especially if being used as FWH.  You could even chuck a little in later on, if you wanted floral/earthy character.  It comes down to personal preference.

I say go for it, sounds solid to me.

Thanks Damon,

Will follow Richard's mash notes from the NHBC and see where we end up. Going to be a cold day to spend outside tomorrow...!

Hi folks, planning to tackle my first biab mission on the weekend. Aiming for a bookie/rogers style, plan is to get something that management finds pleasant for thefirst attempt thereby making future purchases that bit easier. 

Anyway keen to get recipe guidance

3.5kg maris otter

.6 kg biscuit

.4caramalt

.4caraaroma

20gm riwaka 20 fuggles at 30 min

Same at 5 min

Same for dry hop addition

English ale yeast

Aiming for 21 litres so thinking I need to start at about 28l

Appreciate any feedback you have. Cheers

RSS