Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just another average ale that Mike Neilson gave me.  Something that he whipped up at home in his spare time ;-)

Thanks Mr C. I'm pretty much going with the grain & grape recipe as my starting point though wavering over the wheat. May also use dark crystal just because I like it right now.

Looks a good choice jt - are you using the Sauvin/Cascade bittering combo?

Yea, something like that. And considering a flame out addition too. From the Weyermann porter recipe that's always taken my fancy. http://www.weyermann.de/eng/hr.asp?go=detailrz&idrz=21&umen... always assumed the saaz were flameout
Really butchering my plans here ....

I"ll be interested to hear how the late saaz in a dark beer tastes jt - never tried it but I'm curious!

Brewed this morning, gravity down, volume up. 1042 and 26 BU.

After a very long run of 1033ish beers this tastes thick and rich.
Now for the ferment, Thames Valley II, hope to stop around 1011

Cheers, jt

Nice - sounding like a tasty porter.  That TV II is gooood!

Yea, I think it's my favorite yeast this year, t least for a pale. This is it's first go in a darkie
What do you folks think?

Tawa APA

19 litres
All Grain
1.063~OG→1.016~FG→6.1%ABV 53 IBU 37.0°L SRM

Yeasts
1272 - American Ale II

Fermentables
7 kilograms Golden Promise 31ppg, 35°L 7 kilograms 92%

CaraPils 32ppg, 2°L 0.3 kilograms 4%

Wheat 37ppg, 2°L 0.3 kilograms 4%

Hops
10 grams Columbus 60 minute
20 grams Cascade 20 minute
20 grams Columbus 20 minute
10 grams Columbus 10 minute
10 grams Cascade. 10 minute

Dry Hop
20 grams Amarillo
20 grams Columbus
20 grams Centennial

Miscellaneous
Irish moss

Batch Sparge
1 hour, 31.14 litres
Strike
  Target 66°C 23.78 litres
77°C
1 hour
Sparge 7.36 litres

Looks gorgeous.

Gonna throw in some water adjustments?

Thanks Kelly! I am hoping this turns out nice. The ingredients were a little dear, but not horribly so.

No water adjustments this morning. So far I have been happy with the Tawa water, but this can change.

Cool :)

I like to chuck some Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) into my water when making hoppier beers. Theory is the sulfate in it greatly reduces harshness from hops during the boil. I generally just measure it out as 5-10g in a 40L batch, which is about 1-2 tsp. If you wana get really technical you can check out your local water report and the water section in How To Brew. There are some accurate numbers for ideal mineral levels, I think Sulfate at 150ppm for an IPA is pretty standard in US commercial brewing

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service