Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting - I've heard that from a few different people.  There are other factors too aren't there? - boil vigour, leaving the kettle lid off etc. 

Do you reckon that its down to the ale yeast as well (and would you still boil for 90 if using a lager yeast)?

Another way to use NS and Cascade is in a combo of both at 1:3-4 ratios (i.e 1 part NS and 3-4 parts Cascade) at every mid- late hop addition.  NS as a big late hop tends to overpower everything.  Small additions accentuate the other hop's flavours though.  MSG for beer I've heard it said.

An interesting thought - always keen for new ideas to try - thanks

MSG for beer!! Bahahahaha. I dumped 100g NS in my second beer - a kit bohemian pils, it was too much, but has mellowed out a bit and is actually pretty tasty. Thanks for the 90 minute answer. Palmer's HTB is on the shopping list, but I want a temperature control unit first, so you'll have to suffer my N00b questions for a little longer :P

Ive pretty much been making this over winter. 19L batches.  used Malteurop 90%, carapils 5% & carahell 5%1.050 OG, 1.009 FG , 40-45 IBU.

been using W34/70 yeast. Have only tried 3 so far at 1 month (apart from tasting out of fermentor). It is Hop Rocker with a german twist! bloody good!

what are the hops you are using and what is the schedule.

thanks

Hi David, sorry for late reply

Hops as follows

18g NS @ 60mins

10g NS @15

15g Cascade @ 15

15g NS @ 0

25g Cascade @ 0

Hey guys, 

I'm getting set to brew a IIPA this weekend and wanted to use local NZ hops. Thing is I'm not really sure which ones combine well. Was hoping to get some input here on what combinations are good. I'm not to worried about bittering hops... more aroma hop combinations, and ideas around dry hoping in secondary. 

Heres the breakdown...

Batch Size: 6.08 gal Style: Imperial IPA (14C)
Boil Size: 7.07 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 11.1 SRM Equipment: TBones All Grain Set up!
Bitterness: 99.6 IBUs Boil Time: 90 min
Est OG: 1.077 (18.6° P) Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Light Body
Est FG: 1.010 SG (2.5° P) Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 8.9% Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
6 Kilos Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
1 Kilo Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2
1/2 Kilo Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3
50 grams Green Bullet [13.5%] - Boil 60 min Hops 4
28 grams Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Boil 30 min Hops 5
0.30 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10 min) Misc 6
28 grams Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Boil 5 min Hops 7
28 grams Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 8
2 pkgs Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 9
1/2 kilo Honey (1.0 SRM) Grain 10
50 grams Green Bullet [13.5%] - Dry Hop 7 days Hops 11
16 grams Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Dry Hop 7 days Hops 12

Going to ferment with 2 packs of Safale 05. 

Thanks in advance guys! 

T

Ive used GB for bittering an IPA before but not sure if Id use it to dry hop??  Maybe a cascade, NS, Motueka combo for dry hopping? Others on here may be of more help..

Hey Dan...

Thats exactly what I ended up doing after some consultation at the brew shop. I'll be racking it over to secondary in a few days, and doing a progression of 3 stages of dry hops. 

Its bubbling away like a champion right now... first time for me using the Safale 05... pretty awesome thus far! 

Thanks for the help. 

Hi guys, have been lurking on the forum for a few weeks now,

i've got one all grain APA under my belt and its been sitting in the bottles for 12 days now, im quite impressed with it so far.

I brewed this recipe on friday just been;

Brewer: Jason Wareing
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.78 l
Post Boil Volume: 7.95 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 19.00 l  
Bottling Volume: 19.55 l
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU        
4.60 kg               Golden Promise (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM)          Grain         1        90.9 %       
0.46 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)    Grain         2        9.1 %        
36.56 g               Pacific Jade [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min   Hop           3        31.8 IBUs    
36.56 g               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           4        4.9 IBUs     
36.56 g               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min        Hop           5        11.5 IBUs    
36.56 g               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min          Hop           6        0.6 IBUs     
36.56 g               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min         Hop           7        1.4 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast         8        -            
73.12 g               Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days  Hop           9        0.0 IBUs     
73.12 g               Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days     Hop           10       0.0 IBUs     

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.05 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time    
Mash In           Add 13.18 l of water at 73.1 C          66.7 C        60 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 4.39l) of 75.6 C water

I had made a 1.6l starter for the yeast on wednesday (roughly 48 hours prior to brewday)

Can i please get some advice on this recipe, in particular the dry hop additions - to be added after primary fermentation.

Am i being too enthuisastic with the hops ?

Im happy with the hop combinations, but i dont want it to be undrinkable if i get the quantities wrong.

I realised after brewing this one(my 2nd so far) that i need to be brewing a bigger quantity (not sure why i have been brewing 19l recipes!)  i have a 30l fermenter so it makes sense to get as much beer as possible each brew!

Thanks in advance

Way to go Jason & welcome to the forums. I can't help you with the dry hopping, but you will see there are definitely some hop heads around of you peruse through this thread. I worked through it from the start earlier this year :-) Try a search as well and see what comes up.

Your boil will really determine your maximum brew size. The size of your pot minus evaporation and the volume reduction once the wort has cooled. With the 30L fermenter you need a bit of head space for the brews you do that have a vigorous fermentation. Some of my fermenters are buckets and I have had a couple of spill overs. The missus wasn't impressed when my stout ran across the garage floor and dripped onto her duvet downstairs :-P

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service