Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent thanks Jacko, 

Hadn't even considered the decay of the fruit while in the fermenter, but given their current ripeness that could definitely be an issue! Wonder if maybe I should boil it down with some extra sugar or something to make it more stable, kinda like a light syrup. I imagine I'd lose quite a lot of the more delicate plum flavours this way though. 

Ive been experimenting with a plum blonde over the last few months and I definitely concur that hops no mix. Id lose the flavor and aroma hops altogether and just go with a single bittering addition. Especially with the saison yeast in tow. Thats where the beer should be made to shine

Ive experimented with reducing the plums with sugar and passing through a sieve to make a kind of plum coulis and adding that, but so far its just come off either under-attenuated (caramelized sugars maybe?) or lacking the real plum flavor. I think puree or extract is the way to go.... Id also like to try just some watties tinned plums, as they seem to have a lovely concentrated plum flavor and aroma and incredible color too.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Great thanks mate,

Which yeast were you using that seemed to under-attenuate? This French Saison seems to be super hungry at about ~81% :)

I used 1056... Like you I allowed for a gravity hike from the fruit, but I think while reducing it I went  a bit too far on one occasion and ended up with a lot of un-fermentable sugar, hence the under attenuation, at least I think thats what it was. If I try a coulis again I wont add the sugar and wont reduce as much

I ordered some 3711 in the last wyeast order, looking forward to having a crack with it... does it really go that far?

Right cool, was the finished beer overly sweet? 

3711 sounds like a great yeast, I havn't used it before but everything I've read about it is really positive. Cory @ The Brewhouse said they have a new shipment of WYeast coming in this week which includes 3711 :) Seems to be one of the most attenuative strains WYeast supply! They've rated it at 77-83%. I'm planning to build it up in a few starters and pitch about 2/3 in primary, 1/3 in secondary

Did a Saison with 3711, finished up at 1.000.

Hi, got the ingredients earlier this week for this brew but my Brambling Cross is 4.9%, not 6 %, seems like quite a big difference, should I add a few extra grams to make up the bitterness, or would doing that add to much of the Brambling flavour or something?  Also does my Irish Moss addition look ok?

Cheers

English Summer Ale

In Mash:

Pale Ale Malt 4.720kg -  Golden Promise Pale Ale 

Strike temp: 76  , mash temp 66.

Water Required:

Total Liquor: 37 litres

Mash Liquor: 12 litres

In Boil

UK Target - 19g, 10.5%, 90min  Got 10%

UK Brambling Cross - 13g, 6%, 30min  Got 4.9%

Protofloc - 1 tsp, 15min

Irish Moss - 1 teaspoon 10min

NZ Gold 5.5% - 12g, 10min

Statistics from book

Expected FG: 1012                        Colour (EBC)  10.3

Expected OG: 1044                        Bitterness (IBU) 33.1

Expected ABV: 4.3%

Yeast Recommendations

DCL - S04     ,    WLP - 023 ,    WY - 1028

I'm using Safale S-04 yeast (if I make it again or similar thinking Nottingham next time if its available)

Cheers

I guess it depends on how bitter you want the beer. Are you happy with 33.1 IBU? At the point you are at now, it will certainly be less bitter than the recipe, but it depends on the bitterness you desire.

If you are using beertools, you can adjust the alpha of the hops. If you notice the IBUs drop lower than you like, try additional grams. 

Cheers I'll give beertools a try, I don't have any reference beers with IBU values as I'm new to all grain so the IBU number doesn't mean much to me yet.  I like bitter beers and want to brew the beer as it was intended once before I make changes since I'm new. If I up the hops to make up the IBU how much would it change the flavour?

Has anyone tried to replicate Tuatara Porter or their barley wine? 

Cheers

Hey all I am a big fan of the Brewdog Punk IPA (X 2011 version). I am wondering if anyone has had a crack at attempting this version. I have some info from this site: http://www.hoptopia.com/reviews/307

Also have a potential recipe that someone has had a go with:

Here's my recipe, US-05 is the yeast. The malt should be lower colour MO."

Type: All Grain

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.20 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 100.00 %
20.00 gm Chinook [12.70 %] (60 min) Hops 21.3 IBU
12.00 gm Ahtanum [7.60 %] (60 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
20.00 gm Chinook [12.70 %] (30 min) Hops 18.2 IBU
20.00 gm Ahtanum [7.60 %] (30 min) Hops 9.8 IBU
12.00 gm Simcoe [12.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
26.00 gm Chinook [12.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
12.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
12.00 gm Ahtanum [7.60 %] (0 min) Hops -

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6%
Bitterness: 56.9 IBU
Est Color: 10.3 EBC Color: Color

This is just a version that someone else has done I am wondering if anyone on here has had a go and nailed it or come close.

Cheers all

Chris =)

This is an ESB very loosely based on what I found in Beertools. I am doing a few subs. What do you folks think?

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.25 kg Malteurop Pilsen (3.6 EBC) Grain 1 82.3 %
0.50 kg Munich Malt - 20L (29.6 EBC) Grain 2 12.7 %
0.15 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 3 3.8 %
0.05 kg Chocolate Malt (Baird's) (1200.0 EBC) Grain 4 1.3 %
40.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.10 %] - First Wor Hop 5 28.6 IBUs
20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.10 %] - Boil 10.0 Hop 6 4.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg British Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1098) [1 Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 3.95 kg