Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Usually 20 these days, i think 15 is the other common one.
Hopefully it says on the hydrometer which it is
If the extract isn't fully mixed into the wort then depending on what part of the wort your sample comes from it might read higher or lower than expected. How well was the extract dissolved and mixed into the wort?

The extract was added to the boil. I transferred about 7 litres to the fermenters and topped up to 10.5 litres with cooled, boiled water. I did a lot of shaking to aerate the wort, but now can't remember if I took the sample before shaking or after. As you suggest, it's possible I took a sample that wasn't properly mixed.

I was hoping I could blame the extract, but I can't find any complaints about this particular brand around the forum.

Thanks to Ralph, Mark and JT for tips on hydrometer. I'll re-test the hydrometer tonight .

Hi Guys

Looking at brewing this on the weekend...

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Magnet Pale Ale V2
Brewer: Adam Sparks
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 29.87 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.87 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l  
Bottling Volume: 21.49 l
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 25.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 39.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 67.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.3 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU        
5.00 kg               Golden Promise Malt (5.9 EBC)            Grain         1        79.4 %       
0.50 kg               Caramel Vienne 20L (Briess) (39.4 EBC)   Grain         2        7.9 %        
0.50 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (180.0 EBC)   Grain         3        7.9 %        
0.30 kg               Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)              Grain         4        4.8 %        
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         10 

15.00 g               Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop           5        12.8 IBUs

15.00 g               Cascade Hops NZ [11.90 %] - Boil 30.0 mi Hop           6        13.8 IBUs    
30.00 g               Cascade Hops NZ [11.90 %] - Boil 10.0 mi Hop           8        13.0 IBUs    
50.00 g               Cascade Hops NZ [11.90 %] - Aroma Steep  Hop           9        0.0 IBUs     
1.20 g                Kopaflok (Boil 15.0 mins)                Fining        7        -            
100.00 g              Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days      Hop           11       0.0 IBUs     

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.30 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time    
Mash In           Add 26.54 l of water at 70.7 C          66.7 C        60 min       

Sparge: Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 1 steps (10.59l) of 75.6 C water
Notes:

What do you think? Is my indescriminate use of NZ cascade going to come off negatively? I have 100 grams of it left over so I was keen to use it up instead of buying more. But it packs a hell of a lot more punch than the US stuff Ive noticed.

I also have a batch of Pale Ale that is almost ready to be racked into a secondary.... Can I just reuse the yeast cake in the bottom of my primary for this batch?

Thanks for all the help

Well you will certainly know what NZ Cascade tastes like on its own! Having not tried single hopping with NZ cascade I dont know what it will come out like. I am currently playing around with Nelson Sauvin in combo with the NZ cascade and liking it.

You can reuse the yeast from the primary. The Mr Malty calculator is good for working out how much you should add to the next batch. http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Thanks for the link..... The final dry hop is with US cascade, so its not all NZ

you will be fine using NZ Cascade single hop. I've done it, its awesome. I use more like 400 gms for this size batch. Yep, just use the cake, way to go !
I'm going to try all Sauvin single hop next time I do my PA. I'm expecting it to be awesome too.
Hey guys,
I'd like some advice on a Belgian Blonde, La Chouffe, I'm about to do next week.

I did quite a bit of homework on the recipe and I have everything set to go. What I'm after is info from anyone familiar with Fermentations using Ardennes. I thought I had it sorted until I read some info about it not liking more than 18 C.Something to do with throwing banana esters over this temp ? Don't know if thats right or not? Naturally I want the La Chouffe esters... I'm familiar with Brewing Duvel with 1388 but have not used Ardennes so far. I have temp control, that isn't the issue, its the ramping I'm now in doubt about. I was going to start at 18C for 4 days then slowly ramp to 20. Then let it ramp a bit higher for the last few points, say up to 22 - 23 C at 1.015 for the last phase of attn.
How does that sound ?

briefly, here's my thing:

Weyermann Pils 78%
Wheat 3.4 %
Aromatic 3.4%
sugar 10%
Hallertau
Saaz
Ardennes
OG 65
FG 06-08
5.51 SRM
IBU's 25.3

It will get 4 vols of CO2 so thats going to be another 250 of dextrose at bottling.
Cheers.
Paul.

Recipe looks pretty good to me.  

I brewed a nice Belgian Blond with a similar recipe and I was really happy with the yeast character.  I started fermentation at 18C and let it rise up to 21C over the first week.  If I was to brew it again I wouldn't change a  thing, probably the only beer I've brewed that I would say that about.  

4 vols might be a bit much, you might end up with gushers and yeast lifting off the bottom of the bottles.

yeah 3 1/2 might be better. Cheers.

Thought I'd try my hand at a SMaSH this weekend. Just wondering if this looks ok

Nelson Sauvin Smash

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L):           23.0
Total Grain (kg):         5.000
Total Hops (g):           80.00
Original Gravity (OG):    1.048  (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG):       1.012  (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV):  4.72 %
Colour (SRM):             4.8   (EBC): 9.5
Bitterness (IBU):         49.1   (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes):      60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Vienna (100%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (12.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (12.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (12.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (12.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 68°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Any Advice will be appreciated

Cheers

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service