Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Putting down a 60L lager in the next couple of days

12.75kg Malteurop Premium Pils

1.5 kg Malteurop Munich

0.75kg Carapils

30gm Green Bullet 60mins

30gm Green Bullet 30mins

25gm Hallertau Tradition 15 mins

25gm Czech Saaz 15 mins

25gm Hallertau Tradition 1 mins

25gm Czech Saaz 1 mins

Koppafloc 10 mins

50gms w34/70

Mash at 65 1 hour

Boil 1 hour

Any critique appeciated. Hallertau/Saaz combo ok?

Aiming for about 1.050

Did you brew this Chris? I just wondered if the Hallertau and Saaz were of a similar type and whether they compliment or just confuse each other.

I have just had my first season of lagers/pilsners because of brewing at ambient, and I have had some success with using just two hops and bringing some of the bettering hop forward to 20mins.

Yeah I went ahead with it as planned, no idea whether they will compliment or confuse each other, from memory the hydrometer sample tasted pretty good, but I'm new to brewing lagers, I guess I'll find out in a few weeks/month or so.
I was going to brew a hoppy little NZ Draught on the weekend
3 kg malteurop and 0.5kg dark caramalt to 1033 with Sauvin to bitter then a goodly amount of Motueka, Pacifica and cascade from 20 minutes.

But there's always temptation out there and as I was going to pop into the Newtown shop for a nosey wondered if I'd pick up something different
Wondered if I'd pickup some GP or MO, maybe sub in Carapils for my dark caramalt

What do you reckon ?
I'm ok with 15% caramalt in this recipe, I do it often. How does 15% carapils fit in it's place ?

I guess 15% carapils would work as a replacement for 15% caramalt.  I might be a good way to expose the base malt characteristics a little more.

My only concern would be foamy burps from all that carapils.  Does carapils contribute more dextrins than caramalt?  Dunno.

I was quite impressed with some of the pales that both Chris and Matthew have brewed with 10% carapils (from memory)

I thought it might add another dimension to a really low gravity beer.

Could be that it ends up 50/50 caramalt & carapils additions, not sure .... Or it could be back to the original recipe
I have been slowly working my way through this entire thread to learn as much as I can, and just saw a post of yours from last year where you talk about carapils. Lol. Looks to me like you know what you are doing, just back yourself:)
Oh probably not -that's why I'm asking for opinions !
I'd guess that a year ago that was quite a different beer and from memory I flagged the idea of carapils and just used caramalt

And that's a bloody big read mate,the whole 205 pages, there'll be a few good tips and a few false turns, good on you

JT. Some friendly advise from a friend.

Stick with the Cara Malt. Your beer is outstanding with it in. Why actively decide to change that? Aside from that - Cara Pils doen't contribute the flavour the Cara Malt does... so you will definately lose that aspect.

Kind regards, Joe.

Why actively decide to change that?

You know what it's like, there's always the temptation to tinker

I wondered if the beefier base malt would make up for the lack of, or less caramalt ?

Thanks for the vote of confidence in the recipe though

cheers, jt

It'd be work a crack with the GP and caramalt though eh ?

(I gotta tinker sometime, yea)

I have both, although my carapils is crushed whereas the caramalt whole. The caramalt is quite a bit darker and is pretty much a light crystal, whereas the carapils is only just darker than pilsner malt. I have actually added small amounts of both to pilsner batches, 100 gms of caramalt and 200 gms of carapils to 4500 of pilsner malt with the understanding that the former is for taste and the latter for foam. Another month before I get to taste the result though.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service