Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70874

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I made a SMASH riwaka/pale once, with late additions (no dry) and it was a grapefruit bomb for sure, reminiscent of the pith so quite puckering
I tried the recipe of Glens that is up here http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/forum/topics/1500433:Topic:8?commen... and thought it was a Grapefruit bomb for sure! Plenty of both Riwaka and NZ Cascade in there...

LOL, you brewed that Ralph??

I've never known of someone to brew someone elses throw together recipe like that haha - good sh*t

Nah, Glen sent me some beer in return for some ingredients. One bottle was from that recipe above. My statement above is a bit ambiguous...

Hi guys, looking at brewing a (Irish) red ale and wanted to get a bit of advise on my recipe before hand. At the moment I have it as (for 21 litre into the bucket):

4.34 kg Pale Malt

0.2 kg Caramel medium

0.2 kg Carared

0.1 kg Chocolate malt

Mash at 67 degrees C for 60 min

Expecting efficiency of 70%

14 gram Sticklebract @ 60 min

it is expecting to come out at: OG 1.050, IBU 19

From style guidlines it says minimal/none aroma or flavour hops.

Anyone have suggestions? Hopefully brewing it this weekend!

75g of roasted Barley to give it that characteristic Irish Red bite?

Yup, agree with Ralph on this one, 50-75gms of Roast Barley will go down well in this beer!

Good thing I grabbed some of that then, cheers. Any thoughts on the hop schedule (or lack of)?

Will back off the pale by 50-75 g and add that in roasted (got to end up with 4.84 kg to celebrate my new son!)

Looks all good to me mate, Id consider adding some dry hops in an IPA if it were me, but thats down to personal preference.. The Sauvin will probably over power everything else in this beer also, but if thats what you want then all good :)

If you want a comparison, a hoppy NZ Pale Ale that I put down recently had the recipe over here. http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/forum/topics/recipe-advice-thread?c...

I really like it, lots of late hop and some dry hop if you want big hop aroma and flavour. 

I would bottle after 2 weeks in primary as putting into secondary is probably not going to achieve terribly much?? I posted up a question about this a while back http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/forum/topics/to-rack-or-not-to-rack...

I like the idea of using golden promise for an IPA. I'm interested in the results. I'm guessing the black malt is in there to adjust the colour? 

ABV doesn't look right... With an OG of 1.056 it'll be more like 5.5%.

Recipe looks OK to me.  Maybe a little light on the late hops for my liking but it depends what you're aiming for.  

The IBUs look quite high relative to the OG.  I'd add some light crystal in there (250g ish) and/or increase the base malt by 500-1000g to help balance the bitterness, otherwise you might just end up with a really bitter Pale Ale. I guess it depends on how dark the Medium crystal is.

Also, 1tsp Kopperfloc is WAY TOO MUCH.  1g would be about right.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service