Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70879

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Flavour is different for sure. I swing between liking one over the other more... CaraAroma seems sweeter than Special B. I guess it depends on how you use it in the beer and how much other stuff is in there.

If you chew on them, the CaraAroma is more fruity and sweet. The Special B is as malty as all hell, and has some burnt edges to it.

Having said that - I just mashed in with 10% Special B in a 1.065 beer.

Any suggestions for a recipe which will showcase the different hop varieties I've grown this year?

I'm after something where the character of three varieties will come through while still having enough body to be pleasant to drink. So far I have the following basic APA recipe but it seems a little boring.

Thanks for any ideas.

Batch: 19 litres

IBU: hopefully 30-40

5kg Maris Otter

250g Medium crystal

250g Carapils

10 IBU Southern Cross for bittering

US-05 or similar.

10g Feature hop @ 10 mins (dry weight)

20g Feature hop @   5 mins (dry weight)

20g Feature hop @   0 mins (dry weight)

40g Feature hop dry hopped (dry weight)

Looks like a simple enough recipe that the hop character will come through. Which varieties Brett?

Having the same dilemma about the fuck-tonne of Smoothcone I've grown this year.

Apparently it's not a great aroma hop, but I'd like to find some malts and yeast that compliment the flavour. So far, I've tried a Belgian pale ale with 150g of fresh cones as a flame out addition. Anyone else had any Smoothcone beers that worked out nicely? 

Currently thinking of switching to an American amber/brown style recipe to make things a bit more interesting since I brew variations on the above recipe all the time.

If you haven't already try making a hop tea to get an idea of the flavour/aroma of your Smoothcone. I just boiled a few cones for a few minutes. I've made one with the three types I've grown, Smoothcone, Sticklebract, and an "Old variety". Smoothcone seemed ok. Sticklebract was a bit harsh.

I get a piney scent from the Smoothcone. Savoury like Simcoe and Columbus. I prefer those kinds of hops in a brown ale, so it could be a good choice.

I'm looking at making a Newcastle Brown Ale.

Would anyone have a reciepe? I cant find one anywhere

A quick Google found this one, and I'm sure there are hundreds more.
Yeah but are those grains and hops available in NZ? (im asuming you found the same one as i did when i googled)

I brewed that once upon a time, not a bad recipe, didn't do a side by side so can't comment on it's cloneliness.

Wyeast you can get through Realbeer.

US 2 Row - use your base malt of choice.

Flaked corn - pretty much the same thing as polenta.

20L - Caramalt

60L - Pale Crystal

80L - Med Crystal

Chocolate malt - pale chocolate

Target and EKG should be available through Brewer's Coop or Liberty.

Theres one in Brewing Classic Styles as well, called Nutcastle Brown Ale I believe.

Hi guys,

I'm interested in making a small (3.5% abv) English bitter. I'm also interested in making a SMaSH. I've never made a beer that small, or a SMaSH for that matter. Am I in danger of ending up with a dull, thin beer, if I make a small SMaSH?

I'm thinking of using Golden Promise (or maybe Maris Otter,) and NZ Fuggle. I've read a bit about taking off some of the wort and boiling it right down to make some extra melanoidins, so I think I'll give that a crack too. I'll probably mash on the high side for a bit of body.

What do you guys think?

Watching with interest - I have a desire to something similar...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service