Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Schwarz is hiding away in a dark corner havnt touched it for a while - going by the time it took for the pils to come right it could be another 3-4weeks.

Are you guys really at 1.6 ibu/sg ??
I thought Matthew was going OG/IBU to give 1.6 rather than IBU/OG to give .625
I'm 1.042 and 25 IBU to give 66% or 1.5 depending which way you divide

mind you, he was talking about some big late additions and it wouldn't take to much to take it to 160%
5% Caramalt sounds pretty good. What other malts do you have?

98% Malturop , 2% Melanoidin
95% Malturop s, 5% Carared
95% Malturop , 5% Caraamber

...or how about just 100% Malturop
90% "As Is"
5% lightly toasted
5% medium toasted

Does the style allow for other things like Honey or Weetbix?
Does the style allow for other things like Honey or Weetbix? Nope, quite specific, but hopelessly open ended OG 1.040 to 1.050 minimum 90% malturop, max 10% one other brain 100% Sauvin US 05

Oh man I thought I had my recipe sorted now theres all these ideas flying around tempting me !

I had been wondering about using a little oat malt to gain some smooth body to back up the Malteurop (just to be different) but have no idea what the flavour taste threshold would be in a golden ale - would 2-3% gain what im after without making it taste like porridge?
Weetbix or oats ?

Sound like North Welly Golden Ale, breakfast tonic of champions
Hey guys,

I'm planning my first porter, how does this recipe look?

5kg Maris Otter
500g medium crystal
300g chocolate
150g amber
150g black

S-04, some gypsum (or should I use calcium carbonate?)

mash at 69deg, ~70% efficiency, beersmith says ABV should come out at 5.5%

30-35IBU NZ fuggles as bittering
15g of EKG at 15min (~5IBU)
20g EKG at flameout
Looks good James, should be tasty. I'd probably mash a tiny bit cooler (67) but that's just personal preference.
Kia Ora all.....thought I would get amongst it. Have full grain facilities, thanks to Dale :) Currently do full grain mash, split wort and do 2 boils and add liquid extract - will continue to while I make some Ok drinkable beers and get stocks up... LOL. Any suggestions for FG mash that can be split - just did a mash on Friday and did a NZ IPA and Best Bitter.....looking for other suggestions for 2 brews to do off the one mash? Cheers Adam
You could try what Stu's doing here: http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/forum/topics/newbies-1?x=1&id=1... - same base beer, same yeast, different hops, or even the same hops in different amounts to see how that affects the outcome.

Otherwise, maybe do an AG mash with a mostly pale ale malt base, say 90% golden promise/maris and 10% medium crystal as a pale ale (hoppy as you like, up to you) and steep some darker grain (black, chocolate, pale choc) to add to one and do a porter. The dark grains won't be big amounts, so you don't need a massive pot to do it but you'll be able to brew two very different beers off the same base grist.
must be a "Stu" thing

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service