Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70874

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks. That sounds like a pretty good idea.

I am really not sure about the tea. Especially quantity and how to infuse it. Has anyone brewed with tea before?
I haven't brewed with tea before but here's my 2c:

I would brew the beer without tea and then make up some tea at bottling time and add controlled amounts to a target number of bottles. This will help determine whether it's a goer and help define a good ratio. I did a similar thing with coffee the last time brewed a Robust Porter and it worked well.
Thats an awesome idea. I think thats going to be the way to go, short of someone saying they have done it already. Thanks Mr Cherry.
I havent brewed with tea but I have thought about it a few times. The first time I would do as Mr C suggest, when I dial in the amounts needed I would add it at flameout. Please keep us posted on how you get along with this, saves me some experimenting:)
I'm bottling my Epic Pale Ale clone tonight. I know lots of people have brewed this since it was on the Can You Brew It podcast. Any idea about carbonation level? I was thinking 2 volumes of CO2?
Just thinking ahead a few brews, I want to do another Blonde ale soon so it's ready in time for Xmas period. I'm currently on a sack of Global Cologne. Has anybody done a fairly light beer with this, is it too big for such a beer?

Just noticed I have a kilo of pilsner left over too so could sub in that for a kilo of the cologne. Looking at a 5kg grain bill, 20L, 1.048.
Nah - Colonge Malt is perfect for these types of beers. It's malted for the brewers in Cologne for making their Koelsch beers, which are basically the German version of a Blonde Ale. Just do a step mash of 52 - 62 - 72 as they would in Cologne and your Ale will be crisp clear and delicious.
Cheers guys, I do BIAB so no ability to do the step mash unfortunately. I did inherit a mash tun cooler bin from a friend recently so I may give that a go in the future. I'll follow my recipe as last time but with the Cologne and Pils. Since moving to kegs I've noticed a huge difference in S-05 beers clarity once they've had a month or so in the kegerator, some gelatine always works well too.
I've never brewed a Belgian of any sort previously, but I have a donated starter of WY3787.

I'm thinking of an ale in the style of a Dubbel, although the colour is probably darker than style (I'm not concerned about this).

Any thoughts or suggestions on my first recipe design would be welcome.

Belgian Dubbel 23.00 L

4500.00 gm Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 75.00 %
500.00 gm Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 8.33 %
200.00 gm Caraaroma (390.0 EBC) Grain 3.33 %
200.00 gm Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 3.33 %
100.00 gm Amber Malt (85.0 EBC) Grain 1.67 %
25.00 gm Hallertau NZ [8.10 %] (60 min) Hops 19.0 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer Tradition [5.70 %] (5 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
500.00 gm Candi Sugar, Dark (541.8 EBC) Sugar 8.33 %
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) Yeast-Wheat

Mash at 65ºC for 60 minutes.
Personally I'm not a fan of amber malt, in any beer, but the rest looks nice. I'm going to brew something like this soon too, maybe try out the fermentis dry Belgian strain (T-58).
I did a Rochefort 10 clone with T-58 recently and it seems to have done fine. Not hugely characterful but certainly cleanly fermented, and that was with just one sachet in 20 litres of 1.100 wort!
Wow that's impressive! I was thinking along the lines of leffe clones (blonde and bruin), session type Belgian ales for kegging

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service