Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Real Beer News -7 November 2000 - Top Ten Beers from the experts

I was thinking about the development of craft beer in NZ, specifically Whitecliffs / Mikes, trying to recall when I first tried. I knew it was sometime in the early 00s (before the first WOMAD in Taranaki in 2003, when I first visited the brewery), but couldn't narrow it down.

Anyhow, snooping around online I found a copy of the above article from 2000! 

Real Beer News - Sparging Online www.realbeer.co.nz - www.sparging.co.nz

Issue 49 – 17 November 2000 - Top Ten Beers from the experts ********************************************************** 
A new feature just released on the Real Beer Page Australia & New Zealand – Top Ten Beers. http://www.realbeer.co.nz/spotlight/top10/index.html

A group of leading beer experts have rank their top ten beers, and from this we have distilled down the overall top beers available in New Zealand. Find out what the top beers are to drink in New Zealand based on what the experts say. http://www.realbeer.co.nz/spotlight/top10/top10.html

You can also check out what each of the individual experts top ten beers are. Most have also list reasons why or features about the beers that they enjoy. See if you agree.

What are your top ten beers? We want to compile a list of beers from our readers and want to know what your favorite beers are. Head to http://www.realbeer.co.nz/spotlight/top10/survey.html and list your top ten

Intruiging!! What did NZ beer geeks value in the days before Yeastie Boys, 8Wired, Croucher, Minumus, Maximus and all the other wonderful beers so easily avaiable today??!! 

I've spent a few days wracking my brain, as I recalled participating in the thread at the time. I've also found the list of winners.

So, what do you reckon (without googling!) the top 10 beers as rated by Real Beer were in 2000? A hint, it was actually  a top 12 and a mix (8:4) of NZ and international beers. Its quite a fun challenge.

I'll post the top ten (12) tomorrow.

Views: 176

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Three wheat beers?? Jeezuz, no wonder Limburg never lasted :oP haha

One wheat beer is one too many in a breweries line up IMHO ;o)

Interesting... so we got a big fat ZERO!!

I suppose I was close with weizenbock... i knew a Limburg wheat beer must have featured. And Doublehoppy was even closer with Hodgson's IPA.

It's certainly a more interesting time now... but that's no disrespect to what was going on then.  i was in amongst it, drinking Owd Roger at Bar Bodega. Or Waiheke Baroona at The Malthouse.  Founders would have been around by then too, I imagine.  These beers excited the pants off me (that was the last time I wore plain pants).  Thinking back about this, it makes me really sad that the writings of Geoff Griggs, Neil Miller, Bruce Holloway and Cameron Williamson are no longer available from the links at www.realbeer.co.nz.  going back over them would be fascinating.

I wonder what things will be like in 10 more years...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service