Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a basic Crankandstein mill from the US.  Shipping for up to 3 or 4 of their 2 roller mills is US$45 to NZ, so I'm wanting to see if there is anyone that might be interested in a bulk order.

I've done a few calculations and 3 units of the 2S (basic model) landed in NZ would be about NZ$120 all up per unit (plus local shipping if outside Christchurch). 2 units works out at about NZ$130 per unit.  Any more than 3 units and we'd go over the NZ$400 gst limit so the price is a little higher.  So it looks like 3 units is the sweet spot.

So is there anyone who might be interested in getting in on something like this?

Thanks

Andy (in Christchurch)

Views: 415

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Fraser,

I've had another look at the numbers for these orders and I made a mistake in my initial calculations, I forgot about the GST increase we've recently had.  It works out that ordering 3 mills in one order actually does go over the $50 GST threshold.  So as it stands with today's exchange rates the costs are:

1 mill - NZ$158 (inc shipping and taxes)

2 mills - NZ$129 each (inc shipping and taxes)

3 mills - NZ$149 each (inc shipping and taxes)

(feel free to double check my numbers. See here for an explanation of how it all works)

So as you can see it makes the most sense for us to pair up and do orders of 2 mills.  I'm planning on doing an order for myself and David Upex as we're already splitting a bag of malt together.  Perhaps you and Tom Innes could get together and do an order.

Sorry for any confusion

Andy

The threshold is still $400 so 3 mills would still scrape in. Info here

I have had a Crankandstein 2S for about 3.5 years, they are great little mills as long as you don't intend to mess with the gap too frequently.

Thanks for that Haish.  I was under the impression that the GST threshold wasn't increasing from $50 to $60.  Any idea what numbers they use to determine whether to charge it or not?  What I mean is, say I buy something in $US and on the day I buy it that works out as NZ$395 (and that's what shows on my credit card statement) but then when the package goes through customs the rate has changed and it NZ$405.  And of course the waiver is at Customs' discretion anyway, so if they want to they can charge the GST even if you are under the threshold.

Thanks for the info on the 2S too.  I'm not planning to change the gap very often, if ever.

Andy

No idea how they calculate it but if I had to guess I'd say they use the exchange rate on the day it shows up at customs.
I'm looking at placing an order in the next few days, does anybody wanna jump on? Will be about $135 including shipping.
If someone in Welly wants a mill with no hopper, I may have room in my luggage when I fly in around ANZAC day. I am flying from Miami. If I have room, it would surely be only enough room for one.

I thought Chris would already have booked any spare luggage space you might've had for fancy hops ?

What dates are you here ?

Anazac day to 20 May.

I will try to bring some hops for Chris. Hopefully MAF does not think I am taking the piss. I will declare them of course.

Ahhhhhhh ... better watch that - i think pellets are allowed but whole / cone hops will be a no-no

So you're here nearly a month ? Plenty of time for a catch up eh

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service