Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Only 2.5% of beer consumed in NZ is Kiwi owned

Now that Lion is to be purchased 100% by Kirin

97.5% of all beer sold in New Zealand profits foreign interests and breweries.

Lion = Japan
Mac's = Japan
DB = Singapore / Holland
Monteith's = Singapore / Holland
Independent Liquor = Australia

Support the 50 small independent kiwi owned breweries and keep the money in New Zealand.

Drink Local, Support New Zealand

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://www.realbeer.co.nz/alefiles/local_news/article_2009_05_12_00...

I was disappointed to say the least.

On a positive note, great to see the festive brews returning. They were always my favourite part of the "old" BrewNZ, along with the (sadly not yet back) BrewHQs and associated beer hunt/pub crawl! :)
Yeah, I just worry a little that it's the big two wanting to be thrown a bone. It's not like they can enter many other categories! ;)

Celebrate NZ by making it all about the NZ pale ale! :)
I wouldn't get too hung up on the first paragraph. This isn't just a decision for the big two. Remember there are about 15 or more other craft breweries that have beers that fit in to these styles. You can't ban them from the awards just because they are 'maintstream' styles.
It's more an issue around logistics and balance. Trophies are awarded based on the best beer from a group of common styles. The volume of entries dictates that there will be more competing for these trophies than if one to be for NZ Dortmunder influnced or Scottish Export 80/- had it's own trophy. They are beer style and need to be included.
History dictates that you have a better chance of winning the trophy in the low alcohol / experimental category than the Pale Ale category but they need to be grouped by similar style and fair volume of entries and there is just no right or wrong way of doing it. Take a look at the AIBA trophies - I still dont get how some of those are grouped. 2 mainstream styles out of 14 other trophies, is it such a big deal? Or to put it another way, the Academy awards focuses more on best actor, director etc but lighting, make-up etc still have their own category. Are they any more or less relevant or more or less deserving that Stephen Speilberg or Brad Pitt (struggles to remember last film I watched that had ever been Academy nominated! Does Die Hard count!)

Beer is beer from start to finish and just because we all don't get a wow factor from everything we need to be all inclusive. Or that's my thoughts

CB
Logistics, good point why do North Island brewers have to foot the bill to ship our beers to Christchurch, when the competition is in Wellington.
On the other hand, historically, given more than 2/3 of the entries originate from the South Island why should they collectively have to pay extra to ship to the NI. It's a mute point and one best directed to the Guild Exec.

CB
that's not even an argument. SI brewers are shipping their beer to Wellington anyway. And it is cheaper to ship North.
Gee Greig you make it sound like the press release was totally transparent about catering to the big guys to get their sponsorship dollars to make the event nearly viable
I agree Greig. The same can be seen with the NZ styles announced for the SOBA NHC. They are based on what is being brewed which is dominated by the big boys and leaves gaps in other areas purely because they not commonly brewed. At a competition level this is likely to prevent some "out of style" beers from being entered at all and therefore not being recognised. The vicious circle continues...
I see the same old arguements being touted in 2009 as they were way back when Luke and I were first involved with BrewNZ. Its fantastic to see Festive Brews return, fantastic to see NZ mainstream styles in separate classes, and bloody great that Cryer, Nicholas and crew are creating an truly NZ event. BrandHQs making a return too???? I recall Dickie at the Dux cleaning up a mainstream category or two in the past and other independents doinf well in the big two categories as well.

BrewNZ has always been an evolving event - conspiracy theories abound by the less informed were always mumbled in dark corners of bars both those never prepared to place their kahunas on the line or offer up front help to the BrewNZ team. NZ is full of knockers - my hats off to the Brewers Guild for taking the task on. Politics are a part of any event - just join any commitee and find out....

I lost interest years ago giving up personal time attempting to please all parties and keep sponsorship cash coming in due to the sort of crap I seem to be seeing in the threads above. For Gods sakes its all about BEER. Compromises are necessary to achieve a vision that may take years to develop. The fact that the likes of Luke and David Cryer are still in there sloggin away for you all is a testament to their passion - cos there aint no payment for it - ask them.

And one thing you all need to realise is that if it wasnt for some great people in Lion Nathan and DB and Kerry Tyacks perserverance against some pretty damning criticism there would have been nothing left of BrewNZ for the Guild to pick up and run with. I'll drink a Speights quart and bloody enjoy it as much as I'll enjoy a Limburg Oude Reserve - Beer is the king and dont forget it.

All power to the Guild - I look forward to seeing a successful BrewNZ this year.
Knockers and conspiracy theorists stay home.

Father
"I'll drink a Speights quart and bloody enjoy it as much as I'll enjoy a Limburg Oude Reserve"

Is that really an honest statement? Im not saying im a conspricy theorist but....
Oh, OK, guess I'll stay home then. :(

I'm no knocker. I've been a supporter of every BrewNZ, albeit just as a consumer. I've promoted it to all I know, and generally encouraged a ton of people to try beer they wouldn't have tried otherwise. Almost all are now beer lovers.

The reason I was disappointed is as follows.

I understood BrewNZ as it was ceased to exist due to the "big boys" wanting too much say in it and/or getting no love for their investment. I thought the formation of the Brewers Guild was there to address this problem and run BrewNZ independently.

From the outside, it now looks to be creeping back towards "catering to the big guys to get their sponsorship dollars to make the event nearly viable" (thanks Luke ;) ) and I really hope that's not the case.

To be 100% clear. I am NOT knocking the big guys, I just don't see that BrewNZ has ever really been about them, or for them. They have plenty of market and mind share, and BrewNZ should really be about celebrating the diversity of beer. Sure, include everything, but *promote* the more unique and diverse, not the mainstream. We see that all the time.

BrewNZ is about the only beer related thing I don't volunteer for - largely because, pre-SOBA, it was always a bit of a holiday for me, and I like to keep it that way. My wife and I love attending as consumers. If you need something done though, my "kahunas" are on the line and prepared to help. Just ask.

Also, if I'm "less informed", it's because there's not enough transparency. I'm as informed as I can possibly be given that I'm not on the guild, and can't see any minutes of meetings posted anywhere.

Father, you know I love your beer, but this is a bit harsh, no? I'm not attacking anyone, I'm just voicing my disappointment with the choice of styles to promote.
I agree with Greig totally and have already mentioned it to Ted from the Brewer's Guild (I was shown these a little while back for feedback - below is basically what I said a month or so ago, though i may have been a little more colourful in my words...).

NZ Pilsner - our most unique style of beer, without doubt - is placed in amongst the International Lager Styles (class D). This style is SO different from anything else in there. It is generally far more bitter than any of them, has far more hop flavour and aroma and would have more body (and probably sweetness). However, I'm reasonably happy with it being in there - it is afterall a new world 'international' lager.

NZ Lager and NZ Premium Lager are very subtle derivations from a few of the categories in class D. how many of the beers that will be entered here cannot be entered as on of the American-Style Premium Lagers, an Australasian, Latin American, Tropical-Style Light Lager, or one of the International-Style Lager sub categories?

NZ Draught is essentially an American-style dark lager with esters. Alcohol and colour may be a shade lower but surely they should be judged side-by-side. They are all essentialy pseudo-ales from the macrobrewing revolution of the 20th century.

Now from here is new...
I was seconded to the Guild Committee a couple of years ago when we moved the NZ styles (draught, lager, premium lager and pilsner) all under one umbrella. I was actually an advocate of 'draught' being moved alongside American Dark Lager and the others alongside their appropriate golden lager styles (they'd all be in Class D this year, as there has been some further shuffling). The NZ Hybrid Styles Category was a reasonable.

If there was concern about how many beers were in one class, then it could be sorted by moving all NZ styles into class D but then splitting D into two classes (i think these are pretty self explanatory):
International Golden Lager styles
International Amber and Dark Lager styles

On a positive it is nice to see the cider styles in this year (although I do hope there are some judges with cider experience coming along - I know i'd feel uncomfortable judging cider).

sorry for the rant but i am a political animal and I think this stinks. (However, Like Chris/Father I do acknowledge the very hard work done behind the scenes for this very thankless task!!! I just totally disagree).

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service