Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

OK, brother departs for the east tomorrow and he hasn't even had a sniff of the PKB attempt that I brewed for a farewell that didn't eventuate

So last chance tonight. Now I was wondering if I should try replicate a handpumped ale.
We've done this before. Puncture a plastic bottle lid with half a doz holes and squeeze the beer out of the plastic botlle, good results.

Then I thought about filling the bottle with some cascade cones for that total hop experience.

I'm guessing I'd get a lot of foam filling the bottle as the beer hits the hops.

Thoughts and ideas please !

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really dug Nerdherder through the pump, it has been one of my favourite beers so far this year.

It certainly comes down to personal preference, but I think that cask conditioned, handpumped beer is hard to beat when done well. Not that it is appropriate for all beer however.

Interesting reading of an English brewer/blogger who compares Jaipur side by side from keg and cask.

Edit: Heh, I just saw that you had commented Stu!
also depends on whether you were drinking B or D.

I thought B was the Yeastie product closest to my vision - and D was a distant last. But, as always, it seemed to be about a 50/50 mix in the preference department. Even on ratebeer, their mean scores are .08 apart.
"also depends on whether you were drinking B or D"

It was at the auckland beer festival, so not sure but think it was D?
yeh, it was D.
yeh, lots of people are like that Mr C... I tend to think they are (as Ally McG might call them) "bampots".

;-)
I brewed the lightweight clone in remembereance of the origional PKB launch that brother & I both enjoyed immensley, especially the handpumped version.

I thought we would have a session on the LWC before he left, but it hasn't happened, so I'm taking the port-a-hopback over with me tonight
It all went ok
The hops sucked up some beer from the first pour, so I had to top it up.
I only got foam once I started to top it up

Pouring was good to start, it slowed down once there wasn't enough beer for the hops to float in, then it jammed up
We ended up pouring the last through a tea strainer

taste ?
We lost some bitterness. Good body. Hoppy, but not in either the flameout or dry hop sense.
Grassey, but now in the fresh mown way. Lips were oily and hoppy for awhile afterwards, it lingered

Worth it for the experience

cheers, jt

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service