Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I've noticed a few people mentioned that they would like to get a chest freezer/temp control setup while others are interested in a new fridge.

What are the pros & cons of kegging setups using fridges vs freezers?
What setup do you have and what do you think of it?

Views: 835

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd chuck it straight in the keggerator. 2 weeks in primary is fine, just wait another 2 weeks before you start drinking - I know I'm a hyppocrit! I drink straight from the fermenter most of the time!
There is no such thing as beginner when it comes to equipment, it's just called an addiction....

Use your smaller fridge for fermenting, then you can get all complicated with your temp control, then look into a chest freezer for your kegs / supplies etc.
Have a 2/3 fridge (top) and 1/3 freezer (bottom) unit for serving. Fits two kegs and a fermenter, or 4 kegs, have removed the door-shelf and replaced with a piece of ali sheet. Also removed the butter conditioner. Two taps running through the door and gas line in through the side. Running Mashmaster Fridgemate 'hardwired' in in place of original thermostat (I broke it...oops) to keep it at 6 - 10degC depending on beer.

I'm happy with this as a serving fridge but would get a fridge-only next time as with this unit the freezer does not have it's own thermostat so is only running when the fridge is running - which is fine in it's normal operation but when it's set to 6 - 10degC so renders the feezer quite useless and turns in into a huge ice block. A keg lasts me on average two weeks and I'm happy to brew every two weeks so this works out quite well. So one keg pouring and one keg conditioning/carbonating works well for me, it would be nice to have a third tap/keg for something like a big beer that will last me some time but I'm not too worried about that at the moment.

I think I have just scored a chest freezer from my grandparents for fermenting. Went chest over upright because there were never any uprights large enough for sale or at the right price. Downside to chest for me is having to lift fermenter in, bastard to clean up any explosive fermentations and increased floorspace usage. Upsides are better temperature retention, more cooling power, safe to drop below 0degC for lagering, eisbocking (:-P). Will be running Craftbrewer Tempmate dual-stage thermostat to heat and cool.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service