Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Our Fijoa trees are covered in wee fruit.  We will be inundated when they start dropping.

Has anyone here used them in a brew with success?  Thinking of doing a Saison with em, or perhaps a wheat beer.  Also toying with the idea of doing a wheat heavy Belgian Blond with perhaps a smaller amount of fijoa?

Obviously I have some time left to plan.

Thoughts?  

Views: 1919

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They were at a nice ripeness for eating... Just getting a bit soft.

I (or rather my girlfriend...) cut them in half, scooped out the innards, froze them, then pasteurized them.

Added them to the fermenter once primary fermentation was done.

dont know if ill be adding to fermentor

I acquired about 4 shopping bags full of feijoas today in a fair game of chance. Ok, I found them on the side of the road, but whatever. Should be able to get some more, too. I'm really keen to try for a feijoa / apple cider, anyone here have experience with such things? My only dabblings in cider have been so bloody bad that they weren't even acceptable when rendered into calvados.

Any tips on process (especially yeast selection) would be much appreciated. Or any leads on a good supply of apples around Auckland (or more feijoas, why not).

ive been researching more in the area of yeasts..... S33 belgian yeast is popular.  Im also really worried about getting the right balance.  Im hoping for a subtle balance like the 42 below vodka.  I dont know anything about  cider but maybe a real bitter apple to offset the feijoa Richard?

I have absoloutley no idea when it comes to cider making but.....

I did make a cider with 70%Mela apple juice and 30%Greenways apple juice fermented with S23 

Then to 7L addded 500g feijoa pulp (that I froze then pastuerised) to the secondary for a week

Also did Blackberrys and Tayberrys(all seperately) and it worked out pretty well I thought - although I didnt really account for the sugar content in the fruits so it ended up being a real panty dropper

As a personal preference I would avoid using beer yeast in a cider as it always had that hint of beeriness!

hmm ok, thanks for the tips, guys. I've got them in the freezer for now so hopefully they will be fine just waiting for me to sort my recipe out and so on.
id be interested to see your recipe, mine has NZ malt as base from Liberty brewing with some munich and williamette with about 15ibu. 

Did you ever brew this?

It's feijoa time again, so I was thinking maybe a simple wheat beer rested on a feijoa bed during secondary?

Yeah i did. turned out ok, but i liked the base beer better. 

Might do a Fijoa Lambic at some point... though obviously that'd be next years fijoas :)

I am planning on doing a feijoa wheat. I have 3kg of fruit pulp in the freezer. In a 23L batch, how much fruit would be a good amount? I was going to stew for a while to pasteurise then add to secondary. I am still debating what yeast to use. Would the classic German wheat yeasts clash with the fruit or should I just go with something neutral??

I have recently put down wheat beers with Wyeast 3068, 3056, 1010.   Too early to give advice on differences, did basic 1oz Hallatau at 60 min versions of eash, all 3kg Gladfields Wheat / 3kg Gladfields pale and a little acid malt for ph control, all mashed at 64C.   

Keen to try a Feijoa as have a tree and access to a lot for free.   I am keen to do a split batch of  Feijoa / Raspberry in seconday.

I tried the Raspbeery house tap at Brothers Beer the other day, it was ok but for me not enough wheat and not enough raspberries.

Got a a couple of kilos of feijoas frozen, quite keen to make a super hopped Blond Ale, APA, IPA, or Saison. Any ideas on grain or hops. Plan to have 2kgs of feijoas in the fermenter when I siphon in.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service