Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

We spoke about creating a discussion so people who have or people who are thinking about and/or building can share pic's info and pitfalls to avoid.

Just about finished building my bench and hopefully will have a chance to start wiring it up this weekend. Pics to follow shortly.

Views: 19888

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Relays like the one in that image haven't been used in this country for years. They do not meet NZ standards. You can get away with using them but I wouldn't recommend it. Ideally you should use something along the lines of the schneider-electric CT series of single phase contactors.

it's fine dude vary rarely will you ever switch a neutral anyway

Hey guys can anyone recommend a cheap source of SS/copper elements? Just after something around 2400W so I can run it off my mains.

I use these but I have doubts about them

http://www.kegresources.co.nz/online-store/categoty-layout/brewing-...

My pot came with two and they both blew in first few months.  the old design had weakness where the cable entered element unsupported, the new design seems a lot better, had for a year and no blows, but I only got more as pot was drilled for these.   I would look for something else if you can.

I have been using one of those for 2-3 year. No problems at all, it is mounted in a 50l stainless keg, i get a good rolling boil and my evaporation rates are about correct using software like beer smith. I actually got a second but found 1 is ok. Whirl pooling is obviously not easy to achieve because the element restricts the flow of the wort.
I did get some some copper elements from the scrap metal place on Neilsen st in Onehunga a while ago. It is a lucky dip down there and they are about $2 each if you get a good one.

I jinxed myself, one just blew....  put in spare, I wont be replacing them again.  they blow as the wire goes into the element, bad design.   anyways back on track best bitter coming up ringwood ale yeast, dame the starter dropped out clean I expect a very bright beer.

Post a piccy Pete. A similar thing happens on alot of older stove elements we get around it by soldiering the wire into the crimp after crimping the spade terminal. Its defo an option to try regardless of connection type.

I reckon they are dangerous...

Attachments:

Looks like some part was completely underated going by that kind of burnout.

the wires get to hot as the cable comes out of the element.   I have finished my brew for the day. yeast pitched, planning a new kettle already...

It is a real pity that the element is let down at that point - Trying to find an all SS element is not easy! Anyone got a source?

I use these guys' elements (based in Cambridge I think) http://www.seac.co.nz/products2011/water_heating.html

the 3kw Incalloy was around $50 from memory, which is the one you want for boiling wort, bulletproof thus far. I think most of the plumbing merchants will order them in for you, and Smiths will deal direct with your enquiries to ensure you get the right specced element for brewing, I believe they supply to a lot of commercial breweries. Just have to give them a good scrub after every brew, I use a scotch brite pad on them, and pull mine out about every 5 brews to clean properly

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service