Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94611

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Na the Old Ale had the brett in it. I hope!!!! Cant wait to try it again in anoth Imperial though. But I have 40 bottle of Imperial Stouts!! than the Imp IPA than The Imp Pils, I think im all Imperialed out!!
Hahaha awesome! Youll have to do a side by side with your other imperials and see the difference the yeast makes...
I just checked my gravity and it looks like the Krausen has fallen but here's the sad part it's sitting at 1.042? 55% attenuation thus far no good!! though its only been 72 hours since the bubbles started. it better move another 25-30 points or my bitterness is poked!!!
You'll be right mate. At rouse the yeast twice a day, and 1.030 (3 more days I'm guessing) take it out and finish the beer at room temp. you could do it now I reckon as the primary phase has pretty much completed. You should expect full attenuation around 10 days or so with a gravity like that.

20 - 25 degrees is fine for your brew from this stage, it is a very common practice to do this, so dont worry about ester production anymore. It just takes the pressure off the yeast.

Then again, how much Crystal did you put in in the end?
Zilch!! I was hoping for the full attenuation. I seen the other nigh that I had put down 900g of crystal, I would never use that much!! it was supposed to be 90g the grist was 5.3g of MO and good old Dextrose!! I was in the Waiarapa to day for work and at bin in they sell it buy the scoop!! classic might go get me a few 10-20kgs for my next few beers!! just Joking!!
Yeah - its a good corn subsititute!!!

You're beer will be fine. It always slows down at this stage. Let it ramp up naturally to room temp... I doubt that it is still exothermic.
man I wish I had that conical fermenter now since I got a couple of flash yeasts. Oh well the stir plate will have to work harder!! Also speaking of stirplates how do you figure there is any activty going on in there or at least know when it has finshed?
Good question. Trust it I spose! Nah... there is always a foamy head on them wether they are spinning or not. When the foam goes, it's pretty close to being done. I test it before I pitch it too for gravity and flavour. I dont want to pitch a strain that is supposed to attenuate 70-80% and only gives me 60-70% in a spinning starter. Thats crap - I'd sooner ditch it and go dry.

If it is uber sulphury, I'll consider ditching it (but not if it got to 30 degrees) if it smells like vinegar, I'll ditch it. Pineapple and horse blanket... ditch.

I want to smell malt, bread, yeast, fruit, apples maybe, hops - you know... you wanna smell the good shit!
I took a gravity reading as I thought I had no activity and I was correct!! it hasnt moved in 18hrs!!
Pretty easy... stop spinning it and wait for the yeast to fall out of suspension. If it is fizzing away, it should be fine - you'll really only get the head if it is all malt in the starter. Once theer is a few inches of clear stuff on top carefully decant enough to take a gravity reading from and check that it has attenuated. If so - it can be pitched. If not, give it some serious aeration and wait a bit longer for it to kick into life. If it dont kick off in a week, ring Ross and ask him WTF is going on...

It can take up to 4 days for a starter to kick into life if the yeast is old.

Trappist high gravity will knock attenuation out overnight if it is a biig enough pitch...
Hmm No the smack pack was from the last Wyeast order!! Hmm I did stop it spinning for 30mins it wasnt clear though I started it early though planning to use it on friday. If it still aint finished I will just brew the Schwatz. I only took out say 50mls of the smack pack?
Yeah will do I have another 3 viles of Gen 1 yeast so there are plenty of Imperials to be made!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service