Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94611

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that was Steve - the hippy...

Another guy from South Africa is doing the business now, re-labelled the bottles etc. He has been working on the lager mostly for the last 18 months, he just expanded the bright beer room because he instists on 2 months lagering!

The yeast is clean - it lets you know how well you mash! It can accentuate polyphenols if you get too greedy on the sparge. Dark beers wont get like this Mike, so you dont have anything to worry about there.

I can send down a Flagon full of yeast if you want to divy some out to the Welly boys, Mike.
The lager needed work. I only tried it a couple of times and it was really awful. Undrinkably so.

I've always really liked the mild, never had a bad one and sometimes it just tasted so good that I just wanted to shake half of NZ's brewers by the shoulders and tell them to all go brew a splendid simple beer like that.

Now... the new labels... mmm, yes... I think they are awful and I think that is great. They don't appeal to me at all but I often think that is the ultimate compliment for label design. It means it stands out to the masses.
Clean ale yeast which one?
Mike, post a list of the yeasts that you've got available and I'm sure the Kings & Queens of clean will point you at the most appropriate

Personally, I'd go with Nottingham (aka gervin) Admittedly I don't actually like the yeast, but I did get a bronze for my porter in '07 when all my liquid yeast brews were sound failures.
I only have a trappist, Imperial blend and wyeast 1968 yeast packs, and the obvious S-0's
If the hop scedule isn't very high in this brew, and the SG is below 1.050... this would be a good batch to grow your yeast count for your IIPA. Maybe you could use your imperial blend?
I wounder what the trappist would taste like in it? probably to funky, still keen on that lager yeast though!! Even for another schwatz I am wanting to do one!
I'm waiting to hear back from Mike at White Cliffs - Tony has offered you some though...

The Trappist yeast would turn out a beer like a Dubbel - it would be quite nice.
Yeah very much so Im brewing one this weekend and dont need another.
From memory Weyermann list a Porter recipe on their website - with Nottingham
Did a nice and simple English Mild on the weekend - first mini-mash with my new mini-mash tun (thanks Bunnings).

1kg Pale Malt (UK)
110g Crystal
110g Roasted
1.5kg Pale Liquid Extract (late boil - 15 mins)

25g NZ Fuggles at 60
10g NZ Fuggles flameout for 10mins

Was going to use London Ale yeast but forgot to start it on Saturday (doh!), so went with an S04 that I had in the fridge...never used S04 before so interested to see how it turns out.

OG1.040
IBU should be around 19
Colour is spot on what I was after

It's fermenting away happily, though at a bit higher temp than I would like at 21c. My fermentation fridge isn't ready yet, so the bucket is in a water bath.

Fingers crossed.
Sounds like a nice quaffer Nolen... What are you going to call it?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service