Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Arrogant Bastard Clone Attempt,  as I have 100g of Chinook and I am currently doing a guiness attempt so will have a 1084 Irish ale yeast cake,  I am going to have a go at this beer.   Special B is a very different tasting malt... 

Homebrew network podcast on doing this clone

http://tbn.haussli.com/tbn/cybi07-02-12nhc.mp3

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.20 kg Gladfield Ale Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.8 %
0.66 kg Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.2 %
25.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 85.0 min Hop 3 36.9 IBUs
25.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 4 31.9 IBUs
25.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 17.2 IBUs
25.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml] Yeast 7 -

Recipe from CYBI

Attachments:

I did not even know of this ale... but now you have bought it to my attention I am very keen to hear how it goes as I may want to brew this myself!

it might go in the case swap yet....     thats 4 weeks away.

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

Yeah, seen this recipe floating around. Definitely aggressive by the sounds of it. Interested to see how it turns out as well.

Good luck... I am really keen to here how it comes out.

Its 50 mins into boil at the moment,  I upped the gladfields pale to make it 90% against 660g of special b and then replaced 80gm of that with acid malt,  hop additions true to recipe, tasted better then most worts pre boil,  the special B is not that dark to look at but really darkened up in the last 15 mins of the mash.   The best description on net that I agree with is initial raisons then a roasty bitterness, its got me all interested in Belgium's now...  Should be in the ferm fridge by midnight.

Hey peter. quick question, You can get /US Chinook and NZ Chinook, which did you use? would be interested to see if there were any differences in hop flavour using the different countries...

I just asked for 100g of Chinook at Brewerscoop,  the sales system records everything so they should be able to tell me what version it was.    Originally I was going to try to clone Niels Schippers   Chinook IPA but I found the AB thread online and so many people commenting on it I thought why not.   The ferment has finished, have not tested for FG, will leave it another week warm then 1 week cold,  the 1084 finishes pretty low, this will be around 6.9%, cant wait to taste all that special b

Putting this down today.

What do you guys think?

5.45kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann)

20 gm Cara-Pils/Dextrine

20 gm Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L

20 gm Centennial [9.7%] - Boil 60 min
20 gm Centennial [9.7%] - Boil 45 min
20 gm Centennial [9.7%] - Boil 30 min
20 gm Centennial [9.7%] - Boil 15 min

1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min)

10 gm Centennial [9.7%] - Boil 0 min

1 pkgs Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast #WY1450)

20 gm Cascade [5.5%] - Dry Hop 14 days

20 gm Centennial [9.7%] - Dry Hop 14 days

10 inch APA ?

20gm crystal is that just for a hint of colour?

10 inch APA?

Welp. I mostly brew those. :)

Actually, I just had that particular crystal laying around. The marris otter I am using is the one from the brewshop in newtown, and it is much darker than the one I originally used in this recipe. My color will be a wee bit off, but hopefully this comes out OK.

I miscalculated the strike water, so my mash started at a low temp. At least this can be ramped up. It is better than the mash being too hot from the beginning in this recipe.

May be that Chris was referring to the small amount of crystal additions - 20g of crystal 20 doesn't seem likely to move the color much.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service