Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep, Cascade, Mot, Pacifica  are really good.

Also giving Sauvin, Pacifica and Cascade a run in Pale and a little darkie.

1/3 Sauvin and 2/3 Motueka was good too

I'm with you on those too JT - Sauvin makes the others pop if the proportions are right. 

I was too heavy handed with the NS early on but understand how to better use it now.  I'm going to have a go with Galaxy soon - from what I read its similar to NS in that way.

Here's a quote from Kelly Ryan about a substitute for Riwaka. He mentioned it when giving out the recipe for Mash Up. I haven't tried it for myself.

Due to the lack of Riwaka on the market, we recommend a combination of Motueka and Nelson Sauvin (at a ratio of 4:1) to give a flavour/aroma profile that is similar.

Thanks. I'd been thinking of something along those lines.

Just about to bottle a dubbel, what sort of co2 volumes do people recommend?  Beersmith tells me 2.3-2.9, interwebs says up to 4.  I am keen on around 3.4, which will be bottled in ABC 750 glass - bad idea?

Beautiful day down here in the Chur. 

Just coming to the end of boil of another Bo Pils. They're not the most exciting beer to make, but worth the wait.

My experiments with step mashing with a 55C rest for for head retention are paying off too:

And today's recipe:

OG: 1.055 SG

IBU: 42

Gladfield Pils Malt 5.000 kg 

CaraPils 0.266 kg

Melanoidin 0.070 kg

Southern Cross 10g @ 60

Hallertauer  20g @ 30

Motueka 20g @ 10

Hallertauer 25g @ 5

Hallertauer Aroma 35g @ 0

Wyeast 2278-Czech Pilsner Lager

Step Mash (55-63-68-70C)

Pitch at 8C, ferment at 10C

Now that is a sight for sore eyes. Needs another top up now!

Well I can squeeze a brew in today amongst other things so will do my second Czech Pilsner. Quite appropriate really since I live near a Czech enclave. I had the hell week last week with bottling 100 bottles or so in one day to make room for more lagers before the temps get too high. So out went a Bock, Schwarzbier and German Pilsner. Still have a Czech on the yeast as I couldn't get a full started going in time and it has hell sulphur. Put another German down last week at well. So the Germans are an experiment with Perle for flavour over Green Bullet for bittering in the first and Pacific Jade in the second.

Today's is my first go with NZ Pilsner malt or NZ malt at all with:

8% Munich

4% Carapils

2% Melanoidin

Mash at 55&67. Mashout 75.

Carrying on from my last experiment with Motueka and Sticklebract at 50/50 all the way through, this time is Mot with Southerncross 50/50 & 60, 30, 20 and a small flameout addition for a little aroma. Will go for about 65 ibu.

Hard to taste the last one over the sulphur but I think my first couple of pilsners were weighted too heavy towards the middle and late hops, so will up the 60 and 30 this time. Will be a pitch of s-23 I harvested from the Schwarzbier.

Tried my first BIAB brew..... only bottled 9days.

Have done quite a few kits... with the home brew twang... I am thinking naaa home brew still how i remember 20years ago... shit.

This Friday will be my 4th BIAB...

Had a kit beer that tasted OK after 10 weeks... my flat NZ Pale Ale ... wow its soooo nice.

Hooked... to BIAB.. the beer is like pub beer with no twang... wow... i will have a bottle each week until I cant help myself.

I am soo impressed... real home made beer that tastes like real beer!

welcome to obsession my friend! I'm sure you'll have a mash tun within the next 2 months ;)

Keep going with yor BIAB and you be drinking better than Pub beers in no time at all.

Check out the 'Recipe Advise' and 'What Are You Brewing' threads in this form for hundreds of great recipes.

Well a up and down day brewing yesterday. Downs because I was fitting the brew in amongst other jobs and missed a few things, like finings to the kettle. Also Hopville is playing up as it goes through a redevelopment so I got my calcs wrong and over hopped, this one might have to spend six months in the bottle to tone it down. Still I am experimenting with a pacific jade/motueka mix, plus the addition of toasted malt. On the plus side I tried out a different way of doing a raw wheat mash. With 28% wheat I got 80% efficiency, and the first time I have had a good result with the iodine test with wheat.

Given it is on S-23 at about 12°C in the garage it might be a good candidate for the 2Kg of Guava's in the freezer, just to round out the experimental nature of the beer.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service