Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One of the classic or basic dry stout recipes is 20% flaked barley and 10% roast barley so fine by that account.

For a FES I don't know though.

Now I do recall Ed Siddle talking about step mashes for stouts with flaked barley - but I haven't got it bookmarked

Just out of interest the recipe that I came up with for a best extra stout (loosely based on coopers BES)

went like this (1.065 og,53 ibu)

76%pale,

5.7%crystal,

5.7%roast,

3.85%choc,

8.65%dextrose

SO4 yeast! which stuck at 1.022 fg so I dumped the brew onto a SO5 yeast cake which got it down to 1.018

Came out pretty well I thought - side by side with the real thing mine was more bitter but pretty close otherwise.

Sweet, thanks guys... it's on the boil now smelling freakin awesome. It's going to be hard not to add anymore hops, first time doing just a single addition. I'll be lucky to get under 1.03 FG with so many unfermentables. I'll stick with the us-05 and save the 1469 for something a bit lighter.
I've just made a 1.060ish oatmeal stout with 1469 and it's superb. Fermented round 18 so it's not too estery, but very smooth and velvety. Would highly recommend it
Pumpkins
Pumpkin Ale Jo??
Yeah. There's no hops around at the moment, so may as well brew something different.
Watch out, next he will be brewing with Puha

I am currently mashing a English bitters;

46% Marris Otter

46% UK Pale

7.3% Pale Crystal

0.7% Black Malt

Single Infusion @ 66 Deg, for 90mins

90min: 280g Cane Sugar

60min: 14g Target

5min: 7g NZ Goldings

7g NZ Hallertauer

1g Irish moss

1min: 28g NZ Goldings

Ferment @ 18Deg with SF-04

Should be real nice!

Todays brew was the Kolsch recipe from Brewing Classic Styles (won't bother posting it). Only tweak was using Saaz instead of Hallertau. Even managed to get a Kolsch wyeast smack pack which was less than a week old.

Was looking awesome going into the fermenter. Must be the palest beer I've done so far.

From previous experience was expecting to be a bit high with the pH because of all the Pilsner malt but wound up at 5.5 with no adjustments. Not bad.

Aiming for a low-gravity version of my house NZPA recipe for the Limbo Comp. I also decided to give No-Sparge brewing a try - it certainly speeded up my brewday, we'll just have to wait and see what it did to the beer.

Littlest Beauty - NZPA

94% Golden Promise

6% wheat malt

Mashed at 70 degrees. No sparge, so I increased the amount of grain by 25%. I went for a normal mash thickness (about 3L/kg) then added half of the remaining water at mashout, then the other half direct to the kettle. This gave me a preboil gravity which was about 3 points above what I predicted, so I could have scaled the malt back slightly. I then proceeded to break my hydrometer so couldn't get a postboil reading! Based on the preboil and my normal evaporation rate, it should be 1.035.

30g Pacifica @ 30 mins (that's right, no 60 min addition)

30g NZ Cascade @ 10

30g Motueka @ 5

30g NZ Styrians @ 0

There will be copious dry-hopping also.

Predicting 28 IBUs. Fermenting with Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II).

Really interested to see how this turns out. In a busy brewday, I also kegged my Marzen and a re-brew of my Parkin beer.

So Martin - What did you do with the spent no sparge grist? Use it for anything afterwards??

Seems like a waste of preciuos sugars :oP haha

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service