Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94603

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Heh... hard case! I got some NZ Chinook... so can;t get too jealous!

Has your new lid shown up yet Dale?

No lid so far we'll see tomorrow. Thanks Jo.
Ah, I take it that no one will be executed then.... Yes Dale is the awesome overnight courierer of hops.
I've concluded (after neglecting this beer for far too long) that it's tasting far, far too balanced for what I set out to make, although it is yummy... I've decided to chuck in some kilned sauvin flowers (2011 harvest, courtesy of Dale) to dryhop, with a smidgon of amarillo and cascade to smooth things along. I'm really enjoying those three hops together. I guess it's no longer a harvest IPA... Oh well. I did have a small amount of wet sauvin still in the freezer, but I chickened out on dry hopping with them - I think they might be past it.

Just came up with a new name for my next brew to be released:

Liberty Brewing Co. High Carb Ale.

It'll feature fresh Chinook Hops, 7% booze, 90IBU's and plenty of simple carbohydrates.

Looking forward to brewing it.

High Carb Ale ... ® ?

<american radio voice>

Get your carbo BLAST with new High Carb Ale® from Liberty Brewing. All the carbs you can taste with that great alcoholic hit..."

"More Carbs than your body has room for!"

Indeed - I forgot my ®.

®

Sweet as. So I rinsed, caustic washed at 90degrees, hot rinsed, cold rinsed, acid rinsed, cold rinsed and acid sanitised (who said professional brewing was fun?) the fermenter that had Sexual Chocolate® in it... ready to receive Liberty Brewing Co®. "High Carb Ale®." Featuring NZ Chinook 1272 yeast and of course plenty of IBU's.

I haven't had the best afternoon though. I broke one of my favourite drinking glasses doing some quality assurance, and cut myself cleaning up one of the 279 pieces that it broke into. I decided to console myself by drinking some IPA - and type this out as a bit of a bitch session, however unfortunately the hot Taranaki sunshine that is beaming through the window skunked the beer in my glass as it sat infront of me. Fuck it all - there is so much isohumulone in my glass that only the smallest exposure to ultraviolet light has reacted with the riboflavins in my IPA creating 3-methylbut-2-ene-1-thiol. It is for that reason that I have decided that IPA is a Autumn / Winter / Spring beer.

On a more positive note, I am now ready to brew one excellent beer tomorrow.

Fail®

;-)

IPA/strong pale ale this weekend.

Usually I'd aim for about 300g of hops in an IPA, but due to the shortage and all I'm seeing how much character I can get out of 200g, twice what I'd use in a APA.  Trying to get as much out of them as I can so going with only FWH and whirlpool in the kettle then a pretty big double dry hop.  Have braced myself that it may only be a 'strong pale ale' and not an IPA if it doesn't go well.

20L, 1.063OG, 72IBU

5.50kg/92% Golden Promise

0.48kg/8% Caramalt

65C mash

19g Simcoe FWH

19g Columbus FWH

30g Simcoe W/P 15m

30g Columbus W/P 15m

20g Simcoe DH1 (7 days then removed)

20g Columbus DH1 (7 days then removed)

35g Columbus DH2 (another 7 days)

35g Simcoe DH2 (another 7 days)