Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now you've got me thinking....

The crunch factor is "how warm is too warm for 1272?"

I dont have a fermentation fridge, and use the fan and water tub method under the house - hence the interest in fermenting at about 20deg at this time of the year.

If 20 wouldn't make the yeast spew fusels and other nasties then I could be tempted.

If its pushing the friendship then I'll fall back to the dry yeast.

20 would be perfectly fine for that yeast mate!! I'd personally be comfortable taking it up to 22*c

Righto then - thats all I need to know.  Thanks Rev,

I'll take Stu up on your offer if its OK - and look forward to a wee experiement.

Yep - I'm keen to try a co-op at some stage but not confident of my sterile technique after this weeks experience :(

I'd be interested in learning from someone who knows the right way to go about it.

Yikes - think I hijacked your thread - sorry.
No worries - I didn't think so - we've got related requests and any talk about this is good talk as far as I'm concerned. 
Haha I was actually offering it to Druid. I've only got enough for 1 person, but you could make a starter up and split it :)
Sounds good to me.  How long can I keep the starter for?  Or do I just refreeze the slurry from the starter?  Guess I'd better start reading up in the Library.

A starter would keep for a week at fridge temps.  It will keep longer but viability and vitality will start to drop off.

No reason why you can't freeze from that slurry but I prefer go straight from a smack pack, just reduces the risk of contamination.

Sorry Stu and Druid - my mistake...got carried away and the forum post order threw me. 

As I said I've got the dry yeast fallback option so more than happy to stay with that for now unless anyone else can help out.

Cheers

Hah no worries bro!
Another North West Welly Ale with 1469 in the next few days
3.500 Malteurop
0.500 Dark Caramalt (I read that it really is the biz)
0.010 Black

13gm Sauvin @ 60
The 14gm ea Hallertau & Mot @ 15 10 5 & 0

I brewed it last time with a few gm less of each hop, just edging them up a bit to account for anticipated higher FG
Expecting 1.033 / 1.010 and 40 IBU

Thanks to Joe for the hop combinations in a blog or photo comment some time ago

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service