Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94608

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stu, if brewers coop don't have Warrior, Southern Cross is a good NZ equivilent, high alpha, low cohumulone, and its a very clean bitterness!!

Or, nugget...

Ah wicked thanks Tyler!

Ah it's fine, it's still drinkable, but its a slight character I'd prefer wasn't there.

Yeah there's a few out there, but yeast health, cell count and all that come into play.

And Rev is right, SC is a great hop, and would be my second sub after warrior.

A call for help... Is anyone in Auckland happy to exchange a cup of English yeast slurry or something I can start up for a few brews? 

My starter for this weekend's brew is smelling decidedly off - must have picked up an infection somewhere along the way and I was hoping for some style appropriate yeast character in my next brew - a strong bitter.

Sorry - can't help you with your yeast but I'm watching responses with interest as I'm keen to explore an Auckland yeast co-op of some form. 

I'd really like to have a play with 1272 as an alternative to S-05 but not too sure how to make the Wyeast scheme work w.r.t. keeping the yeast viable over long periods, hence I'm looking at pooling resources locally. 

I've read some stuff but don't know what's involved in propagating or sharing yeast but keen on learning.

Bro I've got some frozen vials of 1272 if ya wanna score one off me. I live in Mt Eden so pretty close. You just need to make a 250ml starter, then a 2L starter (so plan in advance of your brew day).

I got a friend who's a yeast scientist to make them up for me. He's gone offshore now to make real money though doh! Eventually I'm planning on getting a stir plate/slants/glycerine/etc and getting my act together, but I'm a broke as student so that'll have to wait.

Freezing yeast is easy mate, I've been doing it for a while.  Most strains stay viable for about 1 year.  If you haven't seen it yet check out the link in the library thread.

Awesome - I'm in W.Springs. 

My 3rd AG brew will be a repeat of Jo's Epic clone and I'd really like to try that yeast with it.

At the rate I'm going drinking the first one, I'll have a keg free in about 3 weeks, so I'll be ready to brew in 2 weeks.  I'll hook up with a PM to sort it out.

Thanks DG - I'll have a look at the library link.

Thanks for the offer Stu - not sure if 1272 would give me what I'm after for this brew - looking for some english yeast fruitiness an esters.  Does 1272 give anything like these flavours at a warmer temp - say 20deg?

I've got a packet of Gervin Ale as a backup in case I can't source anything else.

Cheers

"not sure if 1272 would give me what I'm after for this brew"

Probably not mate, its pretty clean but does give some fruity esters...

I say, take the 1272, and brew something American instead ;o) lol

Thanks Rev - sage and welcome advice.

"take the 1272, and brew something American instead ;o) lol"

Not a bad idea but I have it stuck in my head to brew a bitter, and my hop stocks are leading me heavily in that direction.... you know that feeling when you just have to scratch an itch!!

Haha, I do indeed mate!!

You could try a british/american hybrid beer (WTF i hear you saying), but personally, I love doing different things like that!!

My Amarillo Ordinary is a good example, english grist, english yeast, american hops!! Its delicious!!

So why not, english grist, english hops, american yeast?? It could work, and it might be delicious!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service